The Portfolio and Program Management team sits within Clinical Development at Moderna and is responsible for strategic program and portfolio management of all preclinical and clinical-stage programs from lead nomination to licensure. Moderna is seeking an experienced, motivated and energetic leader to lead, build and scale a team of experienced Program Managers who in turn function as drug development experts partnering with Clinical Program Leaders, Clinical Team and cross-functional teams driving strategy of programs and enabling execution/ delivery against timelines and objectives. In addition, this leader will also oversee our portfolio governance team as well as our portfolio analytics and business operations functions.
Reporting directly into the Chief Development Officer, the VP Portfolio and Program Management will be responsible for understanding pipeline, where it is, what it's meant to deliver and how to optimize program execution while mitigating risks and planning for contingencies. They will facilitate an innovative program management model, leveraging cutting edge/digital infrastructure, tools and technologies to maximize productivity and reporting on Moderna programs. With expectations of continued explosive growth, heavy emphasis will be placed on the attraction, development and accountability of a high performing team of Program Managers capable of working across all therapeutic areas and clinical programs (Vaccines and Infectious Disease, Therapeutics and Oncology). In addition, this role will establish Program Management best practices as applied to R&D programs across the portfolio. This leader will also oversee the governance and operating model processes across the development organization. The portfolio analytics and business operations functions also sit in this team, and this leader will work closely with the Chief Development Officr and CDO Leadership Team to drive insights to enable optimal business decisions as well establish a leading development organization through process improvements and cutting edge digital solutions.
The successful candidate will have deep program management experience across a complex portfolio, and multiple phases of clinical development including late stages (Phase 3, submission, post-authorization, and lifecycle management). They will work with Program Managers who help drive program teams forward in the development of novel mRNA medicines for a wide range of diseases and conditions to make mRNA a reality for patients.
Here's What You'll Do:
Within Program Management:
- Build, challenge, develop and empower a team of Program Managers who will support the R&D portfolio from lead optimization to submission.
- Create a center of excellence for project management within this function at Moderna and deploy cutting edge practices, digital tools and technologies, including the implementation and/or optimization of core Program Management measures for reporting, tracking, data collection, synthesis, budgets, integration, scenario-planning, risk and stakeholder management.
- Lead Program Management initiatives to support development and scaling of R&D program capabilities, tools and processes.
At the Development Leadership Team Level:
- Understand and inspire the big picture of program(s) strategy, operations and cross-functional interdependencies in order to lead integration and execution across the Program Management organization. Leverage understanding to assure alignment with Program Leadership, cross- functional stakeholders, and enterprise priorities.
- Be a thought partner to the Program Leads, TA Heads and Chief Development Officer to problem-solve, implement strategies that drive maximum potential realization, and shape the direction of the program.
Across the Moderna Organization:
- Drive effective decision-making at the Program and Development Leadership Team Level through:
- Proactively identifying and escalating gaps and challenges.
- Managing the team through scenario planning to solve problems.
- Supporting content creation as the framework for coordinating team efforts, summarizing complex topics into critical points, and governance.
- Proactive communication that is outcome and solution-driven.
- Effective meeting management inclusive of stakeholder management and preparation, communication and management of action items and decisions and follow through).
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- Have visibility, bandwidth, and influence to drive completion of all deliverables and key responsibilities, building and leveraging relationships with key stakeholders (team members and leadership) and organizational dynamics to promote program goals.
Moderna is pleased to provide you and your family with a comprehensive and innovative suite of benefits, including:
- Masters degree with 10+ years of experience in a biotechnology or pharmaceutical setting or Bachelors degree with 15+ years of experience.
- Project/program management training or certification (preferred)
- Prior experience supporting infectious disease/vaccine development (preferred)
- Experienced people manager and influencer.
- Previous experience building, managing and leading high performing teams, coaching and mentoring others to enhance performance and/or facilitate career progression.
- Adaptive leadership style and ability to influence team direction without formal reporting authority.
- Ability to work in a fluid environment and foster a strong collaborative spirit internally and externally.
- Strong EQ and personal skills to influence without authority, motivate others and manage conflict.
- Strong track record in implementing program/portfolio strategies that drive maximum potential realization. This includes:
- Demonstrated cross-functional leadership and integration across large complex development programs (Phase 1-3 through submission, post-marketing and end-to-end R&D, and assuring alignment with Program Leadership, executive stakeholders, and enterprise priorities.
- Core Program Management strengths driving advanced tools and best practices for reporting, tracking, data collection, synthesis, budgets, integration, scenario-planning, risk and stakeholder management.
- Refined strategic and analytical skills, with a strong affinity to problem solving and issue resolution.
- Strong written and oral communication skills as well as demonstrated organizational aptitude; demonstrated ability to effectively present complex programs to senior leaders and influence decision making.
- Highly competitive and inclusive medical, dental and vision coverage options
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- Lifestyle Spending Account funds to help you engage in personal enrichment and self-care activities
- Family care benefits, including subsidized back-up care options and on-demand tutoring
- Free premium access to fitness, nutrition, and mindfulness classes
- Exclusive preferred pricing on Peloton fitness equipment
- Adoption and family-planning benefits
- Dedicated care coordination support for our LGBTQ+ community
- Generous paid time off, including:
• Vacation, sick time and holidays
• Volunteer time to participate within your community
• Discretionary winter shut down
• Paid sabbatical after 5 years; every 3 years thereafter
- Generous Paid Leave offerings, including 18 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
- 401k match and Financial Planning tools
- Moderna-paid Life, LTD and STD insurance coverages, as well as voluntary benefit options
- Complimentary concierge service including home services research, travel booking, and entertainment requests
- Free parking or subsidized commuter passes
- Location-specific perks and extras!
Candidates should be aware that Moderna currently maintains a policy requiring all US-based employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and receive a booster shot once eligible. Newly hired employees must be vaccinated and boosted prior to their employment start date. Moderna is an equal opportunity employer and will provide a reasonable accommodation to those unable to be vaccinated or receive a booster where it is not an undue hardship to the company to do so as provided under federal, state, and local law.About Moderna
In over 10 years since its inception, Moderna has transformed from a research-stage company advancing programs in the field of messenger RNA (mRNA), to an enterprise with a diverse clinical portfolio of vaccines and therapeutics across seven modalities, a broad intellectual property portfolio in areas including mRNA and lipid nanoparticle formulation, and an integrated manufacturing plant that allows for rapid clinical and commercial production at scale. Moderna maintains alliances with a broad range of domestic and overseas government and commercial collaborators, which has allowed for the pursuit of both groundbreaking science and rapid scaling of manufacturing. Most recently, Moderna's capabilities have come together to allow the authorized use and approval of one of the earliest and most effective vaccines against the COVID-19 pandemic.
Moderna's mRNA platform builds on continuous advances in basic and applied mRNA science, delivery technology and manufacturing, and has allowed the development of therapeutics and vaccines for infectious diseases, immuno-oncology, rare diseases, cardiovascular diseases and autoimmune diseases. Moderna has been named a top biopharmaceutical employer by Science for the past seven years. To learn more, visit www.modernatx.com.
Moderna is a smoke-free, alcohol-free and drug-free work environment.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.