At SpartanNash, we deliver the ingredients for a better life through customer-focused innovation. We do this for our supply chain customers and U.S. military commissaries, retail store guests and, most importantly, our Associates. In fact, we see a day when each will say, "I can't live without them."
Our SpartanNash family of Associates is 17,500 strong, ranging from bakery managers to order selectors; from IT developers to vice presidents of finance; from HR Business Partners to export specialists. Each of them plays an integral role in SpartanNash's People First culture, Operational Excellence and Insights that Drive Solutions. Ready to contribute to the success of our food solutions company? Apply now!
1516 E. St. Patrick St. - Rapid City, South Dakota 57702
This role is responsible to safely drive commercial truck on designated route to deliver product to a series of customers. Assist to unload products at each delivery location; obtain delivery confirmation and complete necessary paperwork. Perform routine vehicle inspection and operate vehicle in a safe and efficient manner, in compliance with DOT regulations. Perform pre and post trip inspection and complete daily drivers logs.
Here's what you'll do:
Here's what you'll need:
- Responsible to safely drive commercial truck with trailer(s) on designated route to deliver products as per delivery schedule, in accordance with all current DOT rules and regulations; regularly make out-of-town deliveries.
- Maintain DOT drivers logbook or electronic logging device (onboard computer) and other delivery documentation.
- Assist to unload truck/trailers at each delivery location and verify correct products are delivered and obtain delivery confirmation and customer signature.
- Inform management of any deviations and/or invoice discrepancies; pickup of damaged goods and customer returns; ensure necessary paperwork is completed and relevant documents are attached.
- Report any unsafe unloading conditions at delivery location to dispatcher/supervisor.
- Perform pre-post trip inspection on vehicle before every run to ensure all mechanical, safety, and emergency components are in working condition and in accordance to DOT regulations.
- Responsible to perform pre-trip duties such as to review driver itinerary and check route details for assigned deliveries; check customer invoices, may move tractors to the loading dock to attach the preloaded trailers and if necessary, maintain required trailer temperature.
- Responsible to perform post-trip duties such as to unload damaged, customer returns products and ensure necessary paperwork is attached; unhook and secure the trailer; refill fuel; park and secure the tractor and hand truck; complete DOT logs and record all deliveries/pickup made, reconcile records with the appropriate company representative as required. Perform simple vehicle maintenance (i.e. clean interiors and exteriors, take vehicle for state inspection, filling tires with air, etc.).
- Report damage and/or repair requirements; coordinate with the dispatcher/supervisor to accomplish routine vehicle maintenance and repairs.
- Provide quality customer service at every delivery location; note and report issues and complaints received about schedules and quality of service to dispatcher/ supervisor for resolution.
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- High school diploma or GED (preferred)
- Must have a valid Class A Commercial Driver's License (required)
- Six Months or at least 50,000 miles of all seasons commercial driving experience (required)
- Must pass DOT physical examination and DOT pre-employment drug test, subject to periodic random alcohol and drug test.
- Must be able to work up to 60 hours per week including nights and weekends.
- Good communication skills: ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Good organizational, prioritization and attention to detail skills.
- Good customer service skills.
- Ability to read maps, route schedules, and operate vehicles in a variety of traffic and weather conditions.
- Knowledge of federal regulations and DOT guidelines.
- Must be flexible working in shifts including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to work safely and carefully to prevent injury to self and others while driving, loading, and unloading vehicles.
- Ability to operate global positioning systems (GPS) /Electronic On-Board Recorders to communicate with dispatch.
- Basic computer skills preferred.
- Ability to travel with overnights on occasion.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be able to lift and/or move up to 100 pounds frequently during loading and unloading (average case weight of 18.7 pounds, 83% of cases are less than 30 pounds). Must be able to push and pull loaded pallets and carts weighing up to 2,700 pounds. The employee is required to sit up to eleven hours per day and climb in and out of tractor and trailer often. Overnight travel may be required. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is subject to a vehicle environment and is exposed to outside weather conditions frequently, including load/unload in extreme weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment us usually low to moderate, but is occasionally moderate to high.
As part of our People First
culture, SpartanNash is proud to offer a robust and competitive Total Rewards benefits package.
SpartanNash is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability and veteran, that celebrates diversity and believes employing a diverse workforce is key to our success. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all individuals.
We are not able to sponsor work visas for this position.