Responsible for effectively managing and monitoring the performance of personnel performing trade mechanical (HVAC). Assist in the diagnosing and subsequent repair of Direct Digital Control (DDC) and Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) systems with our Energy Management Team. Responsible for assigning electronically requested work orders to the various trades in their management control and assisting other trades (Carpentry, Electrical, Landscape, Plumbing) when necessary. Participate in management and campus planning meetings when required.
- Supervise HVAC mechanics to ensure work performance standards are met.
- Troubleshoots mechanical systems and components when required as a technical resource for his crew.
- Communicates information to department head and others as required to indicate status and progress of work.
- Responsible for ensuring highly technical preventive maintenance is performed on schedule, correctly and is effective in reducing unplanned maintenance.
- Assists with budget and keeping maintenance costs competitive with department head.
- Responsible for approximately nine employee's annual performance evaluations.
- Makes recommendations to department head for disciplinary actions, termination, performance evaluations.
- Schedules work according to priorities as set forth by department head to support the mission of the University of Richmond.
- Assure compliance with all regulations and codes pertaining to trade; environmental, safety and codes.
- Exhibits good judgment in leading others to worthwhile objectives.
- Adhere to behavior in accordance with the Mission and Core Values of Facilities Department.
- Comply and enforce safety and environment standards and safe work habits.
- Performs Lock-Out / Tag-Out training as required to ensure staff remains compliant with University Standards.
- Assist in special events as required to ensure successful outcome.
- Maintain a safe working environment
- Ability to plan and carry out project or maintenance work under supervision (Integrated with all functions).
- All Facilities employees are expected to exercise behavior in accordance with University policies as well as with the Facilities Mission and statement of Core Values.
- All Facilities employees are expected to comply to safety standards and demonstrate safe work habits.
- Ability to perform analysis justify needs for authorizing purchases for Electrical Shop use and work
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Assist HVAC II/I Mechanic with coordination of trade work in occupied spaces as it pertains to specific projects within the scope of Physical Plant work
Must be able to lift 50 pounds. Must be able to work safely in varied conditions including wet and cramped areas and in extreme heat and cold. Physically capable of working as mechanic including lifting heavy parts and work from ladders and hot environments. QUALIFICATIONS:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of procedures for safe refrigerant and chemical handling.
- HVAC & Refrigeration basic cycles and principles.
- Commercial HVAC including chillers, low temperature, specialty (computer room and scientific support).
- Steam and water heating fundamentals.
- Electrical basics and controls systems.
- Ability to read, understand, and troubleshoot schematic diagrams
- Working knowledge of HVAC and associated systems employing computer-based monitoring and control devices.
- Working knowledge of OSHA regulations pertaining to work performed.
- Ability to use the International Mechanical Code and perform work in accordance with IMC.
- Ability to lead and mentor staff to complete assigned tasks
- Exercise behavior in accordance with University and Facilities guidelines, policies, procedures, mission and shared values.
- Ability to teach other how to troubleshoot and repair problems of varied types.
- Knowledge of duct design
- Knowledge of subterranean utility locating
- Communicate clearly and professionally to all necessary key interfaces information pertaining to quality completion of work.
- REQUIRED: Must have a valid Driver's License and be able to produce a driving record with a minimum of 3 years of driving history in good standing.
- Journeyman's Mechanical License (typically 3 years Technical Trade School).
- Hold Refrigerant Handling Certification (Universal preferred).
- 5 - 10 years of progressively responsible mechanical experience directly related to HVAC systems to include commercial HVAC service including chillers and refrigeration.
- Full-time, exempt position
- Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; 7.75 hours a day; 38.75 hours per week
- All Facilities employees are designated as essential personnel, and are subject to work outside the normal work schedule on an emergency basis, and are also subject to planned overtime work as required by the immediate supervisor
Pay Grade 7 (Hiring Range $54,413.00 to $75,000.00 annually) ABOUT UR
At the University of Richmond, we're creative, inclusive, and determined. We're Spiders, and our mission is to create positive change in the UR community and beyond. Located minutes from downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond (www.richmond.edu) blends the intimacy of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions. There's only one place like Richmond.
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and candidates who support diversity. EOE