Church World Service (CWS) is a faith-based organization transforming communities around the world through just and sustainable responses to hunger, poverty, displacement, and disaster. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation or identity, religion, age, disability, or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
Reports to:Interim Vice-President of OperationsLocation/ Work Arrangement:New York City/ HybridSalary Minimum:$52,800Salary Maximum:$66,000Geographical Difference:This position may be eligible for 7.5% geographical differential
raising the band to minimum $56,760; target max $70,950.
Imagine waking up every morning with the chance to change someone's life. Imagine knowing your efforts will benefit both your career and our neighbors around the world. At CWS, our team knows they are making a difference every day. Whether you're in our U.S.-based offices supporting refugees, asylees or unaccompanied children ... implementing hygiene initiatives in Cambodia or rebuilding projects in Central America ... or even connecting remotely from your home on fundraising campaigns, grant reports, or critical communications - you have the opportunity to work towards a world where everyone has food, a voice and a safe place to call home.
The Senior Paralegal will provide expertise, oversight and support to various legal functions at the headquarters level including: contracts review, policy and procedure development and dissemination, registration of international offices, coordination of legal services, document management, financial management for the Office of the General Counsel (OGC), and coordination for future transitions of business functions to the OGC.
CWS seeks a motivated, detail-oriented person with strong organizational and legal skills. This position accomplishes this through a respectful, constructive, and energetic style that complements the other members of the team and is guided by the strategic and operational objectives of CWS.
- Serve as additional capacity to the Contracts Specialist:
- Prepare and revise contractual agreements according to legal and funder requirements, which place the organization in the most favorable position and ability to fulfill its obligations
- Review contract terms and conditions to verify that they are in compliance with organizational policies and all applicable federal and state regulations
- Support the transition and subsequent maintenance of a contracts management system
- Continue the development and improvement of processes and systems to enhance the management of contracts throughout the lifecycle.
Policies and Procedures
- Provide leadership and oversight to the development, renewal, dissemination and implementation of CWS policies and procedures
- Serve as a member and support to the Organizational Policies Working Group (OPWG)
- Serve as a super-user to help manage the policies and procedures system and the transition to a new software system to manage the policy process
- Serve as a business analyst regarding the software system utilized to manage policies and procedures, identifying priority future developments by the IT Department.
- Implement standardized formatting of polices and procedures before they are published; maintain and update the Policy and Procedure Style Guide and user manuals
- Manage data about policies, procedures and related resources and ensure they are accessible via the employee intranet (or other means) to staff and to others to whom they apply
- Train other super-users, admins, policy stewards, reviewers and approvers in their roles related to the new software system; trouble-shoot problems in the system with IT
- International Registrations
- Support the headquarters and legal processes of registering CWS offices overseas
- Gather all of the necessary legal documents required for registration
- Maintain corporate records of registrations, their status, and requirements
- Support the periodic review of registrations and legal counsel overseas
- Develop, update and maintain registration processes guidelines; offer training, tools and support as needed
Coordination of legal representation
- Create and maintain an inventory of CWS outside legal representation
- Consult outside counsel as needed
- Assist staff with referrals to outside counsel
- Support the process to secure new outside counsel as required
- Draft the annual budget of the Office of the General Counsel
- Review expenses, monthly financial reports and seek adjustments as needed
- Provide document management for the Office of the General Counsel and its functions
- Proofread, edit and fact-check documents as needed
- Performs legal research and drafts summary of findings as needed
Skills and experience:
- 6+ years of legal or paralegal experience, experience with contract law preferred.
- Knowledge of current and legally-binding contractual language and terminology.
- Knowledge of nonprofit operations including funder relationships and compliance preferred.
- Ability to identify, analyze, and suggest solutions.
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to partner across departments.
- Clear adherence to organizational policies and procurement rules and regulations
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to multitask on several projects simultaneously.
- Bachelor's degree required, law or related degree preferred
- Paralegal certification required if no JD
- Transition to a new Office of the General Counsel
- In the mid-term, CWS will be establishing an Office of the General Counsel (OGC) and hiring an internal General Counsel. This position will move to that new department. In advance, the creation of the new OGC, the Senior Paralegal will support the preparations for the new department.
- This is a hybrid position working out of either New York City or Washington, DC.
CWS offers a competitive benefits package that includes:
- 403 (b) Retirement Plan
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Generous Paid Time Off (21 Paid Days Off; 27 Days after 2 Years)
- 14 Official Holidays
- Sick Time Off (12 Accrued monthly)
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Long Term and Short-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Commuter Benefits
This job has expired.