Senior Manager Genomics Operations, Translational Medicine, Oncology R&D
Gaithersburg, MD- Waltham, MA or Barcelona, Spain
At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the utmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people's exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
Oncology Translational Medicine Genomics
The Translational Medicine function exists within Oncology R&D to ensure effective and strategic biomarker studies for oncology project teams. Closely interacting with the pre-clinical Discovery, Early Clinical Development, and Precision Medicine & Biosamples diagnostics functions, Translational Medicine is the single point of accountability for delivery of robust, scientifically-driven biomarkers to all Oncology project teams, providing feasibility assessments, technical validation, centralized biomarker analysis capability for clinical samples, delivery of translational science research and early clinical phase engagement.
The Global Genomics team within Translational Medicine function leverages Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) and other advanced technologies to match the right patient to the right drug and support precision oncology approaches for the AZ Oncology pipeline.
Major Responsibilities and Accountabilities
This position will focus on 3 core areas:
1) Operations Management (e.g., Financial management, Purchasing, Non-Laboratory Supplier & Logistics, etc.)
Owner of monthly accruals, functional budget, provide financial oversight to the TM Genomics team
Contracting and Management of Vendor Activities:
2) Non-Clinical Project Management & Coordination
- Generate, manage, track and drive to closure all POs and invoices for commercial sample and non-CapEx purchases
- Develop, manage and implement vendor contracts for technical evaluations
- Supplier setup, request for quote, purchase order creation, reconciliations of invoicing, and release of payments
- Manage specimen vendors and other suppliers as required
- Coordination of shipping and receiving of critical R&D items as needed
3) TM Genomics leadership support
- Lead, support and coordinate business improvement projects and investigations for TM Genomics Leadership team for continuous department improvements and day-to-day operations.
- Examples: SOP enhancements, IT issues, and other projects that improve R&D throughput and reduced the administrative logistics on laboratory staff.
- Assist in establishing operational process and procedure to provide excellent and strong operational support to research labs
- Act as escalation point to manage issues related to specimen and results management
- Identify process gaps in specimen management and make recommendations for continuous improvement with a focus on resource usage and turn-around time
- Support management and research labs in strategic, operational planning (KPIs) and execution in company intended direction
Essential for the role
- Provide advanced assistance to the leadership team by performing various complex business support functions, typically of a confidential nature
- Assist with budgeting process which includes gathering data, data input, and financial analysis
- Manage and track sensitive and/or critical information, files, records, and reports
Desirable for the role
- B.A, B.S. in Biotechnology, Biology or Management, or related degree with 3+ years of business/operations experiment in a pharmaceutical, diagnostics or related research setting
- Experience with Oncology, Next Generation Sequencing, Translational Medicine or early stage clinical trials
- Experience with financial management and operating budgets
- Familiarity with NDA, MSA, SOW development and IT security assessments
- Demonstrated success in completing on time medium/ large business projects with attention to details and complexity
- Demonstrated skills interacting with diverse stakeholder groups including senior leadership, scientific strategists, bioinformaticians, lab scientists and business operations team members using a strong scientific background
- Demonstrated ability to lead, communicate, and influence effectively at all levels across the organization
- Experienced in quickly building positive and trusting relationships
- Ability to effectively implement continuous improvements to increase efficiency and promote simplification while maintaining project schedules
- Strong team leadership skills, oral and written communication skills and meeting facilitation skills with the ability to work with others to achieve objectives
So, what's next?
- Advanced degree (PhD or MS) in Biology, Genetics, Oncology, Bioinformatics)
- Working knowledge of document management applications and study planning tools (eg. Planisware, SmartSheet, MS Project, Tableau, Power BI, Veeva platform, Confluence and/or Jira, etc.) and Microsoft tools, such as MS Project, Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point and Visio
- Experience with financial reporting, contract execution, vendor onboarding and diligence
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities, comfort with ambiguity
- Interest in KPI and metric development leading to process improvements
- Proven track record of relationship management, influencing and negotiating across a global organization with complex groups and multiple geographies
- A sense of ownership and enterprise leadership to deliver high quality solutions that solve business problems
If you're already imagining yourself joining our team, we can't wait to hear from you!
Closing date: June 19, 2023Competitive remuneration and benefits apply
We offer a competitive Total Reward program including a market driven base salary, bonus and long term incentive. We have a generous paid time off program and a comprehensive benefits package.Interested in learning more?Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn
https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We follow all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.
This job has expired.