At SpartanNash, we deliver the ingredients for a better life through customer-focused innovation. We do this for our supply chain customers and U.S. military commissaries, retail store guests and, most importantly, our Associates. In fact, we see a day when each will say, "I can't live without them."
Our SpartanNash family of Associates is 17,500 strong, ranging from bakery managers to order selectors; from IT developers to vice presidents of finance; from HR Business Partners to export specialists. Each of them plays an integral role in SpartanNash's People First culture, Operational Excellence and Insights that Drive Solutions. Ready to contribute to the success of our food solutions company? Apply now!
17200 Robbins Road - Grand Haven, Michigan 49417-2666
This role is responsible for operating cash register and electronic scanner to itemize and total customers' purchases, receive payment, and assist in bagging purchases for customers while displaying courteous customer service.
Here's what you'll do:
Here's what you'll need:
- Operate cash register and electronic scanner to itemize customer purchases; handles a variety of products which may include dry groceries, frozen foods, dairy products, produce, poultry, fish, beef and pork products.
- Process financial transactions including, but not limited to; cash, checks, credit cards, food stamps, WIC, loyalty cards, gift certificates, rain checks, voids, and coupons accurately and in accordance with company policy.
- Weigh and carefully bag customer purchases.
- Understand use of check-stand equipment (register, scanner, scale, belts) and its efficient operation.
- Responsible for front-end duties such as merchandising check-stand (newspapers, periodicals, candy, etc.).
- Ensure proper use of product identification and corresponding PLU's; report errors in pricing or signage.
- Maintain understanding of current store programs and product locations.
- Communicate the Company programs (i.e., loyalty program, scans, etc.), in-store specials and coupons to customers, and models high standards of service to achieve a customer oriented store.
- Comply with Company policies regarding security, cash handling/cash drawer accounting procedures, product handling (i.e., damaged/spoiled products), the sale of alcohol and tobacco products, etc.
- Maintain a clean and well-stocked department; ensure the department complies with Company safety and sanitation procedures and standards.
- May be responsible to assist with stocking items.
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- High school diploma or GED (preferred)
- One year of prior retail or related experience preferred.
- Good verbal communication skills; ability to interact politely and effectively with customers.
- Good customer service and organizational skills; detail-oriented.
- Basic reading, writing and arithmetic skills are required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
May be required to lift and/or move up to 30 pounds frequently, and up to 50 pounds occasionally. The associate is required to stand and walk for extended periods of time and may bend, stoop, twist and turn frequently. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is subject to a typical retail store environment (varied temperatures) and is exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. Travel requirements vary by assignment.
As part of our People First
culture, SpartanNash is proud to offer a robust and competitive Total Rewards benefits package.
SpartanNash is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability and veteran, that celebrates diversity and believes employing a diverse workforce is key to our success. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all individuals.
We are not able to sponsor work visas for this position.