Reporting to the Lead Writer for Admission and Academics] in SMU's Marketing and Communications department, the content creator (copy) will support the execution of marketing efforts focused on SMU's new Moody School of Graduate and Advanced Studies and graduate education at SMU. This is a 12-month temporary position.
The ideal content creator is a strong writer who can write compelling copy for web, social and print; pursue story leads and construct compelling narratives; and assist in the content development for digital media. The content creator is strategic, creative and highly organized, managing projects and shepherding content reviews and approvals. In this role, the content creator will collaborate with departmental and cross-functional stakeholders to develop and write copy AND create and execute project work plans, including those for:
- Marketing collateral that targets higher-ed influencers to raise the profile of SMU and the Moody School among higher-ed leadership
- Marketing collateral that supports efforts to raise the profile of graduate education at SMU
- Marketing collateral that supports recruitment of graduate students and faculty
The content creator will, in addition to writing and editing, creatively solve problems, run with ideation and concepting, and identify and pursue story opportunities - particularly those that might resonate with influential higher-ed stakeholders, such as faculty, deans, provosts and presidents. Because research and innovation across disciplines are key strengths of the Moody school, this individual will also execute storytelling in these subjects, across digital and print platforms. This individual will ensure resources are available to complete a project within the parameters of cost, client expectations, team capacity and deadlines and create and execute project work plans.
- Estimated time spent in content creation and development: 65%
- Estimated time spent in coordinating projects: 35%
Working within the Marketing and Communications team at SMU, this content creator will demonstrate initiative, accuracy and good decision-making across our primary objectives for this role, including:
Qualifications Education and Experience:
- Assisting with social strategy and execution through successful ideation, research and creation of content.
- Assisting with digital strategy and execution through successful ideation, research and creation of content for video storytelling/other assets.
- Assisting with print strategy and execution through successful ideation, research, reporting and writing for higher-ed publications and creation of collateral for events to help amplify SMU presence.
- Building and successfully executing project work plans and delivery processes, based on information shared with and discussed by internal stakeholders.
- Planning and coordinating meetings, with appropriate follow-ups, among internal, cross-functional and departmental stakeholders.
Bachelor's degree and two to four years of relevant work experience or a combination of education and relevant experience.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Fluency in the best practices of communications, marketing and editorial content.
- Fluency in utilizing a variety of social platforms to promote and drive engaging on-brand content.
- Experience in web content writing.
- Demonstrated ability to write a variety of content for digital media, including e-newsletters, web pages and social media posts.
- Demonstrated ability to interview stakeholders for testimonials or stories.
- Demonstrated ability to research, write and edit complex stories.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize and articulate information from multiple resources and stakeholders.
- Experience producing persuasive, professional content and managing projects/creative within the parameters of cost, deadlines and client expectations.
- Strong attention to detail and to producing accurate content, with thorough command of AP style and editorial and proofreading skills.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines consistently.
- Ability to use task and project management software such as Asana and/other job-required software applications.
- Demonstrated ability to creatively solve complex problems according to defined strategic objectives.
October 3, 2022
Priority consideration may be given to submissions received by September 19, 2022EEO Statement
SMU will not discriminate in any program or activity on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and expression. The Executive Director for Access and Equity/Title IX Coordinator is designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies and may be reached at the Perkins Administration Building, Room 204, 6425 Boaz Lane, Dallas, TX 75205, 214-768-3601, email@example.com.