The University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics Urology Clinic is ready to welcome a collaborative, compassionate self-starter to lead our ongoing effort to improve clinical care coordination, specialized nursing care, and clinical education of nursing staff and health professionals. You will use your clinical nursing expertise to optimize nursing and health care through management of quality, design of informatics, and active participation in the decision-making process.
- Collaborates with nursing, medical staff and other health professionals in the development and review of standards and in planning, implementing and evaluating patient care for the adult urology patient population with regard to the condition and age of the patient. Provides direct nursing care when necessary. Follows universal precautions.
- Independently coordinates and facilitates patient care between multiple disciplines within both the confines of UIHC and the community (including home health agencies, referring physicians and other community support services). Facilitates continuity of care.
- Coordinates patient care to better utilize supportive services through patient visit, pre-schedules testing, follows up with test results to both patient and physician, obtains medical history, coordinates follow up appointments, provides medication and disease process, teaching, etc. Participate in the ongoing management of the patient to facilitate care of patient in a timely manner.
- Facilitates care of adult urology patients requiring admission, coordinating necessary admission procedures, pre and post procedure care.
- Acts as a clinical resource or consultant for adult urology patient populations with regard to the condition and age of the patients.
- Participates in implementation and requirements of managed care programs for adult urology patient populations.
- Operates autonomously in communicating with members of the health care team directing patient care and providing continuity of care across settings throughout the phases of care.
- Autonomously communicates with referring physician and health care facilities.
- Revises patient care regime via the telephone within protocols developed collaboratively. Performs telephone triage of patient calls to the Urology service, and facilitates medication refills as needed.
- Performs clinical duties, special projects and other tasks as needed.
- Provides leadership for direct patient care programs for urology patients collaborating with health care professionals.
- Participates in decision-making process at unit/division/department level of issues that impact clinical practice.
- Participates in/provides leadership for divisional, departmental and/or intra institutional and community committees and projects.
- Participates in the ongoing implementation of current regulatory standards in order to meet state and national agency accreditation.
- Incorporates the role of patient care provider, advocate (patient, family, and health care professional), consultant, educator, researcher and quality manager.
- Participates in the development and implementation of division/unit quality assessment and improvement program using appropriate risk and quality management data.
- Uses relevant nursing research to improve clinical practice and investigate nursing care problems related to a specific patient population.
- Participates in development and conduct of research activities initiated through recognized need in area of specialty and as directed with other disciplines.
- Design and implement patient/family health education activities for urology patients recognizing individualized need.
- Provides patient education in the Urology clinic that includes: urology procedures, management of chronic urological disorders, perioperative and post-operative management, preventative urologic care.
- Assess learning needs of patients and families post-op procedures and provides appropriate education related to diagnosis, procedure performed, risk factor modification, and treatment regimens.
- Facilitates learning and provides consultation to those in external agencies, communities and to other health care professionals.
- Supports implementation and evaluation of staff education and orientation programs, coordinating and presenting those related to Urology.
- Facilitates the educational experience for health care students and monitors the care delivered.
- Provide direction, assignments, evaluative feedback, coaching and counseling to staff, students and residents to assure outcomes are achieved.
- May hire, develop, and manage the performance of staff and assure compliance with UI policies and procedures.
The University of Iowa Department of Urology is a national leader in urologic care. For more than 100 years, UI urologists have been developing innovative techniques and technologies that improve the health of Iowans, expand the frontiers of medicine, and train new generations of talented physicians. Supported by a knowledgeable and compassionate staff, our faculty possesses unparalleled expertise in areas that include minimally invasive robotics, advanced reconstructive surgery, and treatment of urologic cancers, and we are home to the only team of board-certified pediatric urologists in the state.
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics-recognized as one of the best hospitals in the United States-is Iowa's only comprehensive academic medical center and a regional referral center. The university is located along the picturesque Iowa River in Iowa City, a city of some 77,000 people (170,000+ in the metro area) regularly ranked as one of the nation's best places to live. Iowa City is less than four hours from Chicago and within five hours of Minneapolis, St. Louis, and Kansas City, readily accessible via interstate highways and a regional airport 30 minutes away.Education Required
- A Bachelor's degree in Nursing
- Current license to practice Nursing in Iowa.
- 1-3 years of nursing experience.
- Demonstrated experience of coordinating care along the healthcare continuum.
- Demonstrated experience in patient education.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working with an interdisciplinary team.
- Master's degree in Nursing preferred.
- 1-3 year's experience providing direct nursing care to the urology patient population.
In order to be considered for an interview, applicants must upload the following documents and mark them as a "Relevant File" to the submission:
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended.
Successful candidates will be required to self-disclose any conviction history and will be subject to a criminal background check and credential/education verification.
Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process.
For additional questions, please contact Sandy Moenk at email@example.com or 319-356-0748.
- Classification Title: Clinical Coordinator
- Appointment Type: Professional and Scientific
- Schedule: Full-time
- Work Modality Options: On Campus
This job has expired.
- Organization: Healthcare
- Contact Name: Sandy Moenk
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org