Summary of Responsibilities:
Produces or modifies computer programs of all sizes and complexity. Solves systems and program problems. Recommends courses of action on new application jobs, while considering the total system spectrum, from source document origination to final systems output and handling. Handles extensive research, analysis, definition and documentation on all facets of the job. Recommends the appropriate hardware solution (personal computer, LAN, mainframe, client server, etc.) for the application. Provides mentoring support for less experienced programming staff. Works with minimal supervision and is responsible for making an established range of decisions, escalating to Manager when necessary and updating Manager on a regular basis.
- Researches, designs, defines, develops, tests, documents and implements new computer applications or changes to existing applications following Western & Southern Financial Group (W&SFG) standards.
- Installs software packages and/or personal computer software.
- Assures that hardware and software operate efficiently.
- Utilizes programming tools effectively to ensure accuracy and enhance productivity.
- Assembles and analyzes data relating to processing problems, soliciting help as needed from IT and business unit associates.
- Consults and/or advises business unit associates by written and/or oral communication on inquiries concerning existing or proposed systems.
- Participates in committee meetings on developmental projects, large-scale improvement projects and internal IT technical committees. May chair committees and/or subcommittees.
- Provides training and mentoring to other programming staff, systems managers, business unit management or business unit associates on technical topics or systems definition.
- Handles multiple assignments with multiple deadlines simultaneously.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
- Proven significant programming experience (e.g., research, design, gathering requirements, working with business units, developing programs, testing, documentation, production support). Cite examples demonstrating this experience.
- Proven experience in advising programming associates on both technical (e.g., writing programs, testing standards) and application (e.g., business knowledge, system definition) facets of the job. Cite examples of advising programming associates.
- Proven strong analytical skills, including demonstrated experience identifying, defining and quantifying problems; collecting or interpreting data, establishing facts, and providing effective solutions. Cite examples of good decision-making skills when dealing with multiple alternatives.
- Demonstrated ability to document procedures and activities in a manner that is understandable to others and prepared using a prescribed format, demonstrating use of the English language to include exemplary knowledge, in verbal and written format, of the elements of grammar, punctuation, diction and spelling proficiency.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively within a team. Provide examples of motivating co-workers in difficult situations.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills; occasionally conveys information to internal and external customers in a clear, accurate, focused and concise manner.
- Proven examples of working under multiple deadlines with minimal supervision. Cite examples of successfully organizing and effectively completing projects where given little or no direction.
- Continually performs an activity such as transcribing, viewing a computer terminal and extensive reading. Visual acuity is required to determine accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of work assigned.
- Works in an office setting and remains continuously in a stationary position for long periods of time while working at a desk, on a computer or with other standard office equipment, or while in meetings.
- Performs frequent keyboarding work requiring the ability to make repetitive motions of the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
- Occasionally moves about to accomplish tasks, particularly moves from one work station to another.
Computer Skills and Knowledge of Hardware & Software Required:
- Bachelor's degree or commensurate selection criteria experience.
- Proficient in specific programming languages required by the individual business unit.
Certifications & Licenses (i.e., Series 6 & 63, CPA, etc.):Position Demands:
- Proficient in word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Extended hours required during peak workloads or special projects.
- Handle problems, installations, calls, etc., off-hours as required either remotely or by returning to work.
- Carries pager for on-call responsibilities.