Software Developer Internship -- Dearborn, MI area
Cognitran Limited - Snap-on Incorporated
START DATE: Negotiable
DURATION: Options available to suit study periods and time away from internship.
How to Further Apply -- after reviewing the internship program description below.
If you are ready to take the first steps towards achieving your ambition of becoming an Intern-Software Developer and Cognitran's Software developer internship is of interest to you, please contact us via email:
i nf firstname.lastname@example.org - PLEASE ensure you indicate INTERN DEVELOPER PROGRAM AND YOUR NAME in the subject line of the email.
Please include the following:
If you have an updated resume, please feel free to attach to the email, in addition, to the information listed below.
- The name of the University you are attending
- The name of the course(s) you are taking
- The year of the course you are in (Sophmore/Junior/Senior level and whether Bachelors and or Masters)
- The modules you have and are taking (include any results you have already attained)
- Your contact details (email address and phone number)
Additionally, we would like to know as much about you as possible, including your interests and reasons for wanting to join our program. INTRODUCTION Cognitran Limited
is a part of the globally recognized Snap-on Incorporated group of companies
with representation throughout the world. The Cognitran Software developer internship is an excellent way to kick-start your career.
The program enables suitably qualified interns to experience many aspects of software engineering and become involved in the organisation as a whole. Some Intern training programs last approximately one semester; however, here at Cognitran we are keen to ensure that you receive a solid foundation in your chosen career path and offer a multi semester program. As a software developer, you'll deal with the design, development and maintenance of software systems. In this way, you'll play an important part in helping us provide better solutions for our customers. You will leverage the skills you have learned at University and use these in a real-world context; this program will help you towards a rewarding career with an industry leading ISV (independent software vendor) working within the automotive sector with some of world's most prestigious automotive manufacturers. The Program format
When you commence on the program you will be introduced to your 'buddy'. Your buddy is a colleague who will assist you from day one with all aspects of your work including training and development for the duration of the program.
The program starts with an on-boarding course where you'll get to understand our business, what we do, our customer requirements and how you fit into it. Straight away, you'll be working with people who are experts in their field and happy to impart their knowledge to you.
Throughout this program, as your training and development continues, you will be introduced to a variety of technologies. You will be gently eased into looking at actual client work very early on, but under the supervision of your buddy who will guide you in best practice design principles appropriate for your specialism such as object oriented design principles, test driven development and others.
Throughout the training, emphasis is placed on practical project work to develop your skills and reinforce the best practices you have learnt. Having attained a solid basic knowledge of a language, you will progress into more advanced work focusing on specific areas and technologies.
- Gain a thorough understanding of the Java Language
- Learn about server side web development using enterprise web containers
- Deliver projects using the MVC model of software development.
- Exposure to multiple Java frameworks
- Experience how software development is undertaken in a commercial environment
Additionally, you will be working directly with our clients at their various locations where you will attend project meetings and design workshops. This part of your training and development is essential and is the Cognitran way of doing business. By being in direct communication with our costumes you will obtain an invaluable insight into our customers' needs and be better placed to develop solutions which meet these needs.
While in the program you will have ongoing appraisals; these will allow you to plot the progress of your career - taking you from entry-level position to specialist, expert and beyond. Responsibilities Duration of internship
Software Development can encompass a wide range of responsibilities; during your internship you will be engaged on a variety of activities including:
- Working on projects as part of a n Agile development team
- Attending design meetings
- Meeting with clients
- Writing, developing, testing and reviewing code
- Supporting existing applications
- Liaising with end users to fix defects, find solutions and test them
- Investigating the feasibility of change requests and implementing
- Adding functionality to applications by designing and implementing solutions
There are a limited number of spaces available on our Interns software developer program and we wish to attract the best candidates. The minimum requirement to be considered for entry to the program is that you are currently undertaking a degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
A Cognitran Interns software developer is:
Qualifications Essential skills:
- Passionate about technology
- Analytical and a problem solver
- A keen follower of new technology developments in the industry
- An individual who understands their skills are transferable and applicable to a range of language and technologies
To apply for this role, you should be able to demonstrate the following:
- A keen eye for detail and a passion to follow good practices.
- A genuine passion for technology in general.
- Basic understanding of the HTTP protocol.
- Engaged on degree-level computer science course
Experience with the following technology:
- MVC concepts
- Agile development methodology
- Practical experience with web-based user interface technology such as HTML, CSS,
- WildFly (JBoss Application Server))
- Source version control (ideally with Git)
- Spring Enterprise Java Beans (EJBs)*JPA/Hibernate
- Struts 2