Senior Scientist, In Vivo, Oncology Research
Gaithersburg, MD, US
At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being daring, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We're passionate about the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we believe we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new insights to life.
AstraZeneca's vision in Oncology is to push the boundaries of science to change the practice of medicine, transform the lives of patients living with cancer, and to ultimately eliminate cancer as a cause of death. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers.
We are seeking highly motivated Senior Scientists in Immuno-Oncology with scientific and technical expertise in highly developed and adaptive immune cell biology with a track record of scientific achievement to join our team in Gaithersburg, US. As a Senior Scientist you will be a key member of a team focused on supporting immune-oncology projects through the drug discovery process. You will bring your theoretical and practical expertise in immunology to establish assay systems and deliver datasets that will have direct impact on immune-oncology research projects.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
AstraZeneca seeks an innovative and highly motivated Senior Scientist with a background in immunology or a related field to join the Early Discovery Oncology Bioscience team in Gaithersburg, MD. As a Senior Scientist you will be a key member of a team focused on supporting Immuno-Oncology projects through the drug discovery process. You will bring your expertise in Immunology to establish assay systems and deliver datasets that will have direct impact on pipeline programs.
Working in this laboratory-based position within the Immuno-Oncology Research group you will develop, conduct and analyze experiments to assess the function of our candidate drugs. You will design novel therapeutics targeting the immune system for cancer therapy and help to dissect their mechanism of action. You will be encouraged to support cross-functional teams and work collaboratively with colleagues to ensure the timely generation and dissemination of critical program data. You will also review emerging literature and internal data to help in identifying new potential targets and give to target validation activities.
A proven foundation in immunology and/or oncology, and experience in different in vivo mouse models (including humanized mouse models) for the assessment of immune cell function is essential for this role. As a highly organized, self-motivated individual with a strong lab/practical background you will stay up to date with relevant techniques and have a genuine passion for this field of research. The position requires strong interest in experimental work and ability to work in a fast-paced matrix structured work environment.
- A PhD, or equivalent experience, in immunology and/or immuno-oncology, with 0-6 years of post-doctoral experience in a relevant research area. Validated experience is a plus but not required.
- Strong background in immunology and experience with performing standard in vitro assays (immune cell activation, cytotoxic assays, etc) and use of in vivo mouse models.
- Experience with ex vivo PD assessment assays (basic biochemical and immunological methods including cell culture, multi-color flow cytometry, ELISA/multiplex assays)
- Ability to independently craft and complete research plans for one or more programs, and to review, analyze, and interpret experimental results
- Ability to draft, implement and record protocols and experiments in a timely manner and maintain an excellent laboratory notebook
- Strong interpersonal, influencing, negotiating and collaboration skills together with evidence of having used these to support problem solving and delivery in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Experience preparing written scientific reports (e.g. manuscripts) and oral presentations (e.g. slides, posters).
- We would encourage applications from candidates who have experience in the evaluation of immune function and in the application of sophisticated immunological assays
- Post-doctoral training is preferred
- Working as a member of cross-functional teams, with a large degree of independence representing own department or area of expertise
- Experience working with patient-derived tumors and/or tumor infiltrating T cells is an advantage
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being daring - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, groundbreaking innovative methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.So, what's next?
Where can I find out more?
- Are you already encouraging yourself joining our team? Are you ready to bring new insights and fresh thinking to the table? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you!
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
If you're curious to know more, please contact Elva Chase, our Talent Acquisition Partner, https://www.linkedin.com/in/ee-c-2b161b246/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.
This job has expired.