The VMRD Global Diagnostics Team is seeking to fill an R&D Scientist position at our Kalamazoo site. We are in need of an experienced molecular biologist with core expertise in molecular diagnostics, assay design, product development, product commercialization, and platform integration.
Their key duties and responsibilities will be to:
Key Qualifications and Requirements
- Design, develop, validate, and launch molecular assays for veterinary diagnostic use
- Integrate these assays into diagnostic platforms meant for use at the Point of Care and in reference labs
- Design and execute bench level experiments, analyze and interpret data, and be able to clearly communicate the results of that work
- Work in a team environment and operate cooperatively to creatively overcome challenges and technical hurdles while adhering to the project plan timelines and deliverables
- Use your knowledge and expertise to help guide the development and commercialization of these assays
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in an applicable field (Biology, Microbiology, Veterinary Science, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, etc) with 5-7 years of experience in industrial product development.
- Masters or PhD in an applicable field with 5 years of experience in industrial product development.
- Experience in designing, developing, and commercializing diagnostic assays is required.
- Experience in delivering products to the market; showing a knowledge of stage gate processes, cross-team alignment and execution, and product development methodology.
- Experience in animal and veterinary health, or any applied market, is preferred.
- Deep knowledge of designing and developing molecular assays (qPCR, isothermal PCR, arrays, etc.) for use by customers and the field.
- Deep knowledge and experience in integrating assays into consumables and instrumentation is preferred.
- Expert in laboratory techniques, with deep experience in Design of Experiments and data reporting.
- Strong familiarity with Design for Manufacturing and manufacturing transfer activities.
- Participation in at least one assay/instrument development project through the entire product life cycle is highly preferred.
- Familiarity with regulatory requirements for licensure of diagnostic test kits preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to a high level of work quality and operating effectively in a team environment.
- Experience in leading a team of scientists through the development and commercialization process as a project leader or manager is preferred.
- Strong written and oral communicator; experience in writing scientific study protocols and reports, project proposals, communications and technical summaries to leadership, patent support, and technical documents for marketing and product launch support.
- Familiarity with JMP and e-lab books preferred.
- Act as a technical resource and SME within the project teams.
- Coordinate and plan work as a team, but conduct work independently.
- Show proactiveness and creativity in generating desired outcomes through efficient and results-driven experimental design.
- Ability to develop and use novel techniques for troubleshooting and optimization.
- Readily recognize unmet technical needs and gaps, and proactively seek to address them.
- Improve and optimize current processes and methods.
- Exhibit a high level of responsibility for delivery of technical goals, milestones, and deliverables.
- Excellent oral communicator and writer; must be able to convey complex scientific concepts clearly and concisely for a diverse audience on a regular basis.
- Experience in authoring/contributing to publications preferred.
Zoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status or any other protected classification. Disabled individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our online application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please contact Zoetis Colleague Services at email@example.com to request an accommodation. Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility, considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers. Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of "@zoetis.com". In addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment related activities. Any solicitation or request for information related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make any type of personal financial investment related to gaining employment with Zoetis.