Seattle Shipyard Rigger Employees are responsible for the movement of heavy equipment through the shipyard.
- Control movement of heavy equipment through shipyard as wells as narrow openings or confined spaces aboard vessels using rigging equipment & cranes
- Fabricate, set up and repair rigging, supporting structures and pulling gear using hands and power tools.
- Follow directions of hand signals or verbal instructions while engaged in hoisting and moving loads in order to ensure safety of works and materials
- Signal or verbally direct workers engaged in hoisting and moving loads in order to ensure sage of workers and materials.
- Manipulate rigging lines, hoists, and pulling gear to move or support materials
- Familiarity with rigging gear including cables, chain falls, pulleys, wrenches, according to load weight and size
- Test rigging to ensure safety and reliability
- Dismantle and store rigging equipment
- Operate cranes, man-lift and fork-lift
- Complete crane log sheets
- Strong mathematical skills
- Strong mechanical aptitude to correctly identify equipment malfunctions and assist in equipment repairs
- Constant mental alertness and attention to detail while operating equipment, often in critical lift situations, working around co-workers and/or other moving equipment
- Maintain organization and housekeeping in work area and shop
- Maintain tools & equipment
- Familiarity with tool usage, and demonstrate skill with tools
- Enter and move through manholes to reach and work in internally confined spaces
- Transverse gangways and scaffolding at varying heights
- Read and comprehend manuals, drawings and blueprints
- Adhere to all company safety, environmental, quality assurance and security programs
- Adhere to company policies
- Other duties as assigned.
This position generally requires 2-5 years' experience, preferably within the maritime industry. Must be a union member in good standing, or join union upon hiring in. A physical and pre-employment drug testing are also pre-requisite of employment. Fork lift certification required. Working Conditions
Work is performed in a Shipyard and there may be extreme temperatures and conditions. At time you will work in areas that have less adequate ventilation. There will be heavy lifting and climbing to work in high places and confined spaces. The work can often be dirty and difficult. May be required to work more than a normal workweek, including weekends. Travel may also be required. Regular and predictable attendance is a requirement. Physical/Mental Demands
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk & sit; use hands or fingers; handle or feel; talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, climb and balance, stoop, squat, kneel, twist and crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 60 pounds and frequently lift up to 25 pounds. Employee is required to operate cranes, forklifts & man-lifts. Constant mental alertness and attention to detail while operating equipment, often in critical lift situations, working around coworkers and/or other moving equipment. Must possess mathematical skills and mechanical aptitude to correctly identify equipment malfunctions and equipment repairs. Constant use of sight abilities including depth perception, peripheral vision, hand/eye/foot coordination, visual acuity in near-, mid- and far-range while operating equipment. Frequent uses of speech abilities required in communicating with co-workers, maintaining radio contact, alerting workers working in/around moving equipment; constant use of hearing abilities to communicate with co-workers, monitor equipment performance, and give/receive instructions. May be required to work more than a normal workweek, including weekends. Travel may also be required. Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Opportunity - Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
This job has expired.