Here at Scotts Miracle-Gro there is no such thing as a typical day. Our culture is constantly energized by new and exciting growth opportunities and at a rapid pace. Every Associate plays an important role in providing innovative solutions for today's gardeners and growers and contributing new ideas to improve operations. In our company you need grit, it is what we were founded on over 150 years ago and is what keeps us growing. Regardless of your level in the organization there is a platform for your voice to be heard and the ability to influence change. Family, community and hard working values are weaved into all that we do. Come grow with us, where we develop and nurture the next generation of leaders.
At Scotts Miracle-Gro we think people are like plants...in the right place you will grow and flourish. Are you an advocate of making the world a more beautiful place by inspiring others, championing new ideas and being intellectually curious? Not afraid to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty? If so, then we want you as part of our Scotts family... the world's largest marketer of branded consumer lawn and garden care products!
We're looking for a Turfgrass Scientistto join our Lawns R&D Team in Marysville, OH! This position will be based at The Scotts Miracle-Gro world headquarters in Marysville, a suburb of Columbus, OH. Not familiar with Columbus? Visit columbusregion.com/columbus-2020/
The successful candidate will become a full-time member of Scotts' Biotech team. The objectives for the Biotech program are to 1) develop novel and value-added turfgrass varieties and blends, 2) develop data to support claims around these products, 3) understand and develop programs to ensure success to the consumer when using these grasses, and 4) work closely with cooperators to produce these products effectively and economically. The successful candidate will be working in a hands-on environment within a multifunctional team and should have strong communication skills.
Typical project assignments may include:
- Prepare, establish, maintain, and evaluate turfgrass field trials
- Measure the effects of biotic and abiotic stresses and management on turf performance using technology and visual methods.
- Collect, record, analyze, interpret, and present experimental data
- Facilitate cooperative research projects with universities that may require travel
- Collaborate with internal and external resources
- May have to work occasional weekends in the greenhouse or field
- MS degree in Turfgrass Science Agronomy, Horticulture, Plant Science, or related field with at least 3 years of industry experience required
- PhD in Turfgrass Science, Plant Breeding, or related field preferred
- Experience with turfgrass field plot trial work
- Experience with quantitative and qualitative field plot evaluations
- Familiarity with field plot design and statistical analysis
- Turfgrass breeding and development experience a plus
- Familiarity with molecular breeding methods
- Familiarity with warm season and cool season grass biology, maintenance, and production systems
- Demonstrated skill in oral and written communication
- Familiar with turfgrass and weed species and identifying characteristics
- Familiar with landscape tools, turf maintenance equipment, turf maintenance chemistries, and irrigation operation
- Familiarity with agronomic practices and seed production
- Upbeat and positive attitude
- Strong work ethic
- Willing to "push up sleeves and jump in" to be a team player
- Extremely organized
- Able to develop collaborative relationships with internal and external partners
- Desire to learn
- Public speaking
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
Here at ScottsMiracle-Gro, we believe providing an enriching and engaging employee experience is what sets us apart from other organizations. We recognize our employees are so much more than just their job title so we offer programs and benefits that support them in all aspects of their lives. Wondering how we do it? Below is a glimpse of our highlight reel...
- Our Live Total Health program provides you with options to align to your personal needs. Selections range from medical, dental and visioncoverage for you, your spouse/domestic partner and dependents to an outstanding wellness reimbursement program to an unbelievable 401K match (up to 7.5%)as well as a 15% discount on company stock and much more
- We know ourtalent is our most precious asset and your unique development contributes to our organization's success now and in the future. Career growth at our company is not always a ladder. It's much more like a rock climbing adventure. Grow through exploration and experiences rather than a predictable linear path.
- We value the importance of family. We provide access to Maven Family Planning and up to $30,000 to accommodate for adoption, fertility and surrogacy.
- Be part of something bigger by joining one of our Employee Resource Groups focusing on diversity and inclusion, family, education and sustainability: Scotts Women's Network, Scotts Black Employees' Network, Scotts Veterans' Network, Scotts Young Professionals, Scotts Pride Network (GroPride), Scotts Associates for a Greener Earth (SAGE), Scotts Family TREE and our Associate Boards.
- Join a company with a strong belief in giving back to the communities where we live and work. We have a shared passion for service and volunteerism and believe participating in community service benefits our communities and strengthens our team.
Not interested in this role? Stay up to date on future opportunities by joining our ScottsMiracle-Gro and Hawthorne Gardening talent communities.
Scotts is an EEO Employer, dedicated to a culturally diverse, drug free workplace.
EEO/AA Employer/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Notification to Agencies:
Please note that the Scotts Miracle-Gro company does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Master Service Agreement, and specific approval to submit resumes to an approved requisition, the Scotts Miracle-Gro company will not consider or approve payment regarding recruiter fees or referral compensations.