Research Specialist, Small Grains - Crop Sciences
Conduct field research trials, establish and carry out agronomic management of field research trials.
Duties & Responsibilities
Field research trial operations:
• Carry out all aspects of field research trial management including fertilization, pest management, and irrigation.
• Plant and harvest research trials and seed increases.
• Calibrate and operate specialized research equipment including tractors, planters, sprayers, combines, and threshers.
• Utilize specialized software and GPS to achieve precise planting and trial management.
• Load/unload, tie-down, and haul equipment to off-site trial locations in order to plant, manage, and harvest trials at multiple locations across the state of Illinois.
• Utilize data management software and excel to document and plan work activities, timelines, and schedules.
• Assist in making decisions about the application of agricultural inputs including fertilizer and pesticides as appropriate to achieve project objectives.
• Assist with field site selection and developing field layouts.
• Coordinate with students, program staff, farm managers, and cooperators as needed to carry out trials.
General breeding program operations:
• Conduct wheat and oat breeding population advancement and cross pollination in the greenhouse.
• Process grain and manage seed; including seed packaging, inventory, storage and disposal.
• Take data and notes on research plots.
• Instruct and oversee hourly workers.
Research equipment optimization:
• Maximize the data quality and output from mechanized operations.
• Care for and monitor field research equipment and coordinate with specialized mechanics to maintain all equipment in excellent working condition.
• Carry out basic field repairs as the need arises.
• Coordinate and ensure the routine maintenance of trucks and trailers.
20% May have to travel to other research sites
B.S. in an agronomy, crop science, or a related field; At least 2 years of experience working in an agricultural research program. Prior experience operating and maintaining field research equipment including planters, combines, sprayers and tractors. Experience hauling equipment.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an Illinois drivers' license, and an Illinois Pesticide Applicator's License within 6 months' of starting this position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Add your resume to our resume database that can be searched by employers looking to hire!
Stay up to date with job alerts! Customize your alerts based on a specific area, category and receive weekly updates!