This position is responsible for new market development, new product development and existing product enhancements from a commercial property and casualty technical underwriting perspective. This position serves as a commercial property and casualty technical underwriting expert in a commercial multi-line environment and will be involved with supporting the goals and implementing best practices for all operating units and the Enterprise as a whole. This position exercises broad discretion and judgment and provides enterprise-wide operational consistency, integrity and oversight. This position performs work in support of multiple initiatives, lines of business and/or products. This position manages highly complex business processes and/or improvement efforts across multiple departments or lines of business.
Additional Responsibilities for the Product Manager:
- Assists in aggressively identifying, solving and managing / re-directing problem markets.
- Responsible for Analyzing, researching and reporting on underwriting trends, issues, laws, rules, regulations and best practices, and provides recommendations as appropriate.
- Analyzes current and potential book of business and provides appropriate reports and recommendations.
- Assists in the development of enterprise underwriting policies, procedures and best practices.
- Assists in the implementation and monitoring of policies, practices, procedures and workflows.
- Identifies and establishes strategy for quality control to ensure consistency with best practices and workflows.
- Outlines improvement opportunities and coaches' management on ways to improve.
- Participates in the identification, preparation and presentation of training and programs at an Operating Unit and Enterprise level.
- Serves as a technical expert and consultant in Corporate Underwriting on responses to questions and concerns for all operating units.
- Serves as an advisor on responses to questions and concerns from operating units and others on premium audit issues and Bureau inquiries.
- Analyzes and reviews accounts above the authority limits of Operation Unit managers and underwriters and makes determinations on pricing and programs, as needed.
- Collaborates with enterprise operating units and Corporate Underwriting in furtherance of enterprise cost containment strategies as necessary.
- Represents Product Management & Corporate Underwriting and the enterprise, on various committees and events as appropriate and approved.
- Conducts underwriting due diligence assignments, as needed.
- Performs special projects, as assigned. Provides evaluation and input regarding effectiveness of departmental programs and projects.
- Maintains confidentiality of all information processed.
Additional Responsibilities for the Senior Product Manager:
- Leads the research, analysis and implementation of new or existing product ideas, market development, and product enhancements, including creating supporting business cases, designing solutions, and implementing innovative products for multiple commercial lines of insurance.
- Responsible for the ownership and execution of the overall product strategy, new product and business model innovation, including developing white papers, proposals for action or implementation plans.
- Evaluates the cost benefit of market opportunities and product initiatives and recommends actions based on evaluation, including identifying product improvements for complex product and policy construction considerations.
- Plays a key role in the development of short and long term strategic product & underwriting strategies in support of AF Group's business and profitability goals.
- Develop new product ideas, review existing and drafts new coverage language, executes to the Product Development Life Cycle.
- Responsible for creating best practices, underwriting guidance and training to engage enterprise.
- Responsible for managing key compliance and regulatory relationships to include Product Objection Management.
- Serves as a key contact for developing and implementing new products or organizational practices specific to the product.
- Maintains Expert knowledge including state regulations, compliance, coverages, operational processes, underwriting criteria and system application and tools.
- Supports complex ISO based and proprietary changes. Coordinate with business partners to develop complete filing packages.
- Apply expert guidance and insight related to more highly regulated states / complex filings.
- Research and approve complex updates and changes to ISO, NCCI, Regulatory product updates, applying expert knowledge, problem solving skills and judgment. Recommend actions based on regulatory changes.
- Research, access and communicate risk of ISO, NCCI, Bureau, Regulatory noncompliance due to technical constraints and other operational issues. Collaborate with business partners and leadership to resolve noncompliance issues.
- Collaborates with and serves as liaison between Product Development, Innovation and Corporate Underwriting, with Enterprise Operating Units., including Accountability/Oversight for the Product delivery of Functional Specs.
- In collaboration with Corp UW Line of Business owner, develops underwriting guidelines and letters of authority, for new programs / products within the multi-line commercial lines arena.
- Works with third party vendors (ISO, NCCI, etc.), manages consultant relationships with our internal partners to integrate product needs based on market, product and technical requirements.
- Assists in new market development, including creating supporting business cases, drafting white papers and acting as a liaison to departments involved in new market development for multiple commercial lines of insurance.
- Analyzes new opportunity design, build, and implementation.
- Understands complex reinsurance structures, and critically evaluates complex clauses within proportional and non-proportional treaty and facultative reinsurance policies.
- Conduct full policy wording reviews for renewals to ensure compliance with underwriting guidelines.
- Collaborates with and serves as liaison between Corporate Underwriting, Product Management and Operating Units.
- Serves as owner for drafting, developing and implementing new products or organizational practices specific to the product.
- Develops underwriting guidelines and letters of authority, for new programs / products within the multi-line arena - including workers compensation plus other commercial lines of insurance.
- Establishes enterprise quality control / governance standards.
- Assists with the Market Intelligence Initiative as needed.
- Maintains a clear understanding of all business requirements and applies expert product knowledge throughout the functional design process, including requirement documentation and technology liaising.
This position description identifies the responsibilities and tasks typically associated with the performance of the position. Other relevant essential functions may be required. EMPLOYMENT QUALIFICATIONS: EDUCATION OR EQUIVALENT EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree in Insurance, Business, Math, Finance, or a related field required. Progress towards, or completion of, industry-recognized professional designations (i.e., CIC, AU, CPCU) preferred. Certification or progress toward certification is highly preferred and encouraged. Combinations of relevant education and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree. Continuous learning, as defined by the Company's learning philosophy, is required. EXPERIENCE:
Minimum seven years of commercial property and casualty multi-line underwriting, and product management/development experience with demonstrated technical knowledge with both small and large accounts, or equivalent experience that provides the necessary skills, knowledge and abilities; or any combination of education and experience that would provide an equivalent background. Additional Experience for Senior Product Manager:
Minimum ten years of commercial property and casualty underwriting, with strong multi-line commercial property and casualty lines experience with demonstrated technical knowledge with both small and large accounts, or equivalent experience that provides the necessary skills, knowledge and abilities. Experience with alternative market/specialty programs a plus. Two years of experience with the Enterprise as a Corporate Underwriting Consultant or equivalent experience which provides the necessary skills, knowledge and abilities required. SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES (SKA) REQUIRED:
Additional Skills/ Knowledge/Abilities (SKA) Required for Senior Product Manager:
- Extensive knowledge of commercial property and casualty with strong multi-line experience.
- Experience in insurance product development and product ideation
- Ability to build out multi line capabilities for the enterprise
- Experience with insurance related regulatory and governing bodies
- Experience in implementing new product offerings into a technology platform
- Ability to exercise good judgment in evaluating and determining the propriety of accepting or rejecting commercial property and casualty risks (commercial lines) for the purposes of issuing insurance coverage.
- Demonstrated results in three or more of the following areas required: Product Development, Market Strategy, Market Research or Risk Management
- Ability to read, write, analyze and interpret policy documents, policy language, technical and financial information, and procedure manuals.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical skills to identify improvement needs and develop solutions.
- Ability to effectively exchange information clearly and concisely, present ideas, report facts and other information, and respond to questions as appropriate.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to negotiate while creating and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships with working partners.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet necessary deadlines with minimal direction.
- Ability to perform necessary mathematical computations.
- Ability and proficiency in the use of computers and proficient in Microsoft Windows including spreadsheet applications and Microsoft Word.
- Ability to make competent, independent decisions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to perform other assignments at locations outside the office.
- Extensive knowledge of commercial property and casualty with strong multi-line experience in commercial property and casualty insurance and underwriting techniques, including knowledge of occupational classification codes, loss ratios, claims histories, retention plans, scheduled credits, and other methods of acquiring and retaining favorable workers compensation business.
Work is performed in a remote home office environment with minimal hazards. Some travel required.
The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum education, experience, skills, knowledge and ability levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity is valued and we will not tolerate discrimination or harassment in any form. Candidates for the position stated above are hired on an \"at will\" basis. Nothing herein is intended to create a contract.
This job has expired.