Brigham and Women's Hospital is dedicated to: serving the needs of our local and global community providing the highest quality health care to patients and their families expanding the boundaries of medicine through research educating the next generation of health care professional
Brigham and Women's Hospital is committed to putting every Patient First. Every employee plays a role in providing a positive impact on patients and the care they receive at Brigham and Women's Hospital. Your work will be distinguished by the delivery of high-quality and safe patient care, respect and dignity in all interactions with patients, families and colleagues and by customer service excellence.
All employees are expected to embrace this commitment and demonstrate behavioral competencies in the following areas: People:
Focus on serving the community through collaboration and respect Self Management
: Accountability, professionalism and commitment to growth and development Organization:
A commitment to quality, service and exceptional performance
Meeting these expectations is key to the success of your department and the organization.
This job description includes: General expectations for the position Addendum A - BWH Behavioral Competencies Addendum B - Job Specific Tasks and Responsibilities Addendum C - Physical/Working Conditions PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Indicate key areas of responsibility, major job duties, special projects and key objectives for this position. These items should be evaluated throughout the year and included in the written annual evaluation.
Actual job duties may vary by department (see Addendum B for more detail) Perform duties under moderate supervision with intermediate to advanced proficiency in administrative skills. Act as a super user for scheduling, registration, and billing systems. Provide training and assistance to others in these areas. May perform more complex or specialized functions (i.e. surgical scheduling) at highest competency level. Utilize knowledge of HMO's, managed care and other thirst party insurers, and troubleshoots insurance issues as appropriate. Assist with training and orienting staff as needed. Provide cross coverage as needed. Assist with special projects as directed. Follow HIPAA guidelines for the management of patient privacy and confidentiality. Other duties, as assigned Qualifications
• High school diploma or GED required; post-high school education preferred.
• Minimum one year of applicable work experience required.
• Additional training in office systems preferred. SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Technical skills required:
• Knowledge of practice operations and standards.
• Understanding of procedures including filing, copying, scanning, printing, and faxing.
• Ability to use phone system (answer and screen calls, put on hold), answer routine questions, and give routine information.
• Ability to interpret information as appropriate, answer routine questions in the most professional manner, and communicate in a professional, courteous, clear, and concise manner.
• Ability to manage work processes in a neat and orderly way and to sort and alphabetize.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively, follow established protocols, and work within systems.
• Ability to correspond and communicate with others clearly and effectively in writing (via e-mail, memo, or interoffice note) and to take complete and accurate messages.
• Ability to type and enter data at an entry level. Entry level understanding of applicable systems.
• Understanding of the appropriate use and importance of related forms.
• Basic understanding and use of medical terminology.
• Basic comprehension of insurance types and referral process.
• Basic comprehension of registration and fiscal information.
• Knowledgeable and compliant with all hospital, State, and Federal requirements (where applicable to job performance), including policy and procedures with The Joint Commission and HIPAA. WORKING CONDITIONS:
Hospital based ambulatory practice. Normal patient environments where there are some exposures to communicable diseases, unpleasant odors, needle, and blood products.HOSPITAL WIDE RESPONSIBILITIES:
Works within legal, regulatory, accreditation and ethical practice standards relevant to the position and as established by BWH/Partners; follows safe practices required for the position; complies with appropriate BWH and Partners policies and procedures; fulfills any training required by BWH and/or Partners, as appropriate; brings potential matters of non-compliance to the attention of the supervisor or other appropriate hospital staff.EEO Statement
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
This job has expired.