The Novelis plant located in Davenport, IA has an immediate opening for a Maintenance Mechanic. This position reports to the Maintenance Supervisor.
Responsibilities & Qualifications
- Use hand tools, power tools, precision measuring instruments and other equipment to perform breakdown, corrective, renovative and preventative maintenance on production equipment.
- Dismantle machines, reline spindles, adjust clutches, and replace worn bearings and other parts.
- Assemble machines and equipment and start them to test their operations.
- Repair broken parts using brazing, soldering, and welding equipment or metal working tools such as lathe, drill press, or grinder to make and repair parts.
- Work from drawings, blueprints, sketches, JSA's or verbal instructions to plan organize and layout repairs. Plans procedures, develops sketches, and selects tools, equipment and materials best suited for job.
- Climbs on buildings towers, and equipment to make inspections, repairs, and installations.
- Complies with all safety procedures such as rigging methods, lockout/tagout, hot work, confined space entry permit procedure, etc. and utilizes all personal protective and other safety equipment such as fall protection devices. Must replace all safety guards and restore housekeeping following repairs.
- Operates forklift and uses articulating and rotating boom hoist, telescoping hoist, scissors lift, and pick-up truck.
- Must be a leader in safety. Is a safe worker who demonstrates concern for personal safety and safety of others.
- Team player and self-starter.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to work from drawings and sketches.
- Competent welder.
- Knowledge of hydraulic, pneumatic, and transmission principles.
- Knowledge of bearing installation, lubrication, alignment and failure causes.
- Willingness to train and improve knowledge and skills.
Three to five years industrial mechanical experience or combination of training and work experience.Location Profile
Established in 1991 the Davenport Casting facility employs more than 200 people and serves the building and construction industry. The site produces hot rolled coil by utilizing specialized blending melting and continuous casting processes to produce high-quality aluminum sheet from predominantly recycled materials. Davenport Casting has an active social responsibility committee that supports many organizations in the local community including Habitat for Humanity Riverbend Food Bank CASI and more. The facility also sponsors local events including their partnership with Junior Achievement in sponsoring and presenting at the Advanced Manufacturing Career Day.
Novelis recognizes its talented and diverse workforce as a key competitive advantage. Novelis provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. All terms and conditions of employment at Novelis, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoffs, recalls, transfers, leaves of absence, compensation and training, are without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.