Summary of Responsibilities:
Researches, analyzes, defines, designs, tests, checks and plans activities and application of new technologies to processes. Recommends courses of action on new applications development when systems problems arise. Monitors the rapidly changing systems development environment (software products, programming languages, operating systems, hardware availability, technology trends, etc.) and assists with the transition to new technologies, providing research and problem-solving support, mentoring, training, etc. Has contact with all levels of personnel, both within and outside of Western & Southern Financial Group (W&SFG). Works with minimal supervision and is responsible to make an established range of decisions, escalates to manager when necessary and updates manager on a regular basis.
- Monitors new developments in software/hardware marketplace. Identifies new products with potential benefit to W&SFG and conducts in-depth research and analysis of these products. Demonstrates the applicability of tools in real-world applications.
- Monitors emerging technology trends (mobile computing, imaging, client/server, data warehousing, object oriented design, etc.). Investigates their use in W&SFG and recommends adoption of new technologies/methodologies when appropriate.
- Assists other programmers in becoming productive with new tools and techniques, through formal training, one-on-one mentoring and problem-solving assistance.
- Provides "swat team" style support to development projects, by resolving problems of the most complex, technical nature. Ensures projects remain on track with very aggressive schedules.
- Develops standards/guidelines that influence implementation of new technologies throughout W&SFG development staff.
- Develops common, reusable code shared by developers throughout W&SFG.
- Engages in research, definition, design, development, testing, checkout and debugging of new systems, new technologies and/or major systems' improvements; frequently handles or directs projects, from research to implementation.
- Designs elements of new systems and major modifications with consideration for the elements of time, cost, controls and flexibility. Assures that programming and JCL are hardware efficient; utilizes all programming tools effectively. Directs walk-throughs and program inspections.
- Functions as a coordinator of activities within and between programming departments and/or between operating departments and programming departments.
- Provides high-level technical and application problem analysis.
- Evaluates and determines feasibility of proposed projects and evaluates new software packages in terms of costs, resources required, systems compatibility, etc., and makes recommendations.
- Provides training and/or advice to Programmers, Systems Managers, Department Management or Operating Department personnel on technical topics, systems definition and new productivity products.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
- Proven extensive programming experience in a system/application programmer role. Cite examples of multiple programming projects and technical programming skills.
- Proven ability to provide both technical and application training and mentoring to other programming/technical staff.
- Demonstrated ability to function on a project level, on application and technical projects, with little or no supervision.
- Demonstrated adaptability when required to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity and rapid change. Cite examples.
- Demonstrated experience setting goals and successfully implementing and achieving goals. Cite examples of seeking to improve business and technical processes.
- Demonstrated experience effectively handling customers and providing excellent service.
- Proven strong analytical skills, including demonstrated experience identifying and quantifying problems and providing effective resolutions. Cite examples of good decision-making skills when dealing with multiple alternatives.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively within a team. Cite examples of motivating co-workers in difficult situations.
- Must provide examples of working under multiple deadlines and minimal supervision. Cite examples of successfully organizing and effectively completing projects where given little or no direction.
- Possesses and displays excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to convey information to internal and external customers in a clear, focused and concise manner.
Computer skills and knowledge of hardware & software required:
- Bachelor's degree or commensurate selection criteria experience.
Certifications & licenses (i.e. Series 6 & 63, CPA, etc.):Position Demands:
- Working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
- Proven skills in working in all aspects of a mainframe/communications environment.
- Willingness to work overtime and adjusted work hours as required by department management and to handle problems via off-hour calls as required, including returning to work if necessary.