At Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints. As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible. Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves. Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential. Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Lead Interaction Designer
Interaction Design is a key responsibility at Intuitive, with work bridging multiple disciplines. We bring a human-centered design process to healthcare innovation and the development of physical and digital interfaces that are safe, effective, and impactful.
As a Lead Interaction Designer on the Digital Services team you'll shape Intuitive's surgeon-facing software products. You'll work closely with our partners in the Product, Engineering, and Human Factors groups to take ideas from concept to implementation. You'll take a lead role in defining the user experience to provide meaningful information to surgeons at the right place and time. The collection of applications you'll be working on range from early-stage conceptual efforts to mature applications already in widespread use, but all sharing our objective of delighting our users.
This role can be on-site at our office in Sunnyvale CA or full-time remote on West Coast hours.
Roles and Responsibilities
This opportunity is ideal for designers who revel in bringing teams together around a shared design vision for our products. You won't be heads-down on your own on design files all day; you'll be interacting with a broad range of product experts, design specialists, clinical staff, engineers, and the design management team to leverage their expertise and take our applications to the next level.
What You'll Do
- Participate in and contribute to user research activities. Work closely and collaborate with user-research teams to formulate questions for user research and usability, synthesize key insights from observation and formative evaluations and report them back to the product development team.
- Help the team translate high-level user stories into actionable design guidance that clearly defines user needs and guides our development processes
- Engage a broad range of stakeholders to solicit their feedback and to build consensus and support around your design vision for your products
- Strong facilitation and collaboration skills; ability to be flexible while maintain focus to strive for best outcomes. Use facilitation skills to manage processes for collaborative review and feedback of design artifacts to develop a shared understanding of goals and requirements
- Comfortably interact with peers in product, human factors, clinical, and engineering teams to encourage their engagement in the design process
- Deliver design handoff materials and documentation specifically geared to the needs of other teams and projects
- Seek out ways to continuously improve our products and process through end user testing, analytics, and adoption of emerging industry best practices
- You have a comprehensive portfolio of application design projects demonstrating your interaction design abilities
- You have colleagues who rave about your ability to lead multidisciplinary teams to collaborate efficiently on design processes
- You view ambiguity as an opportunity to find creative design solutions for complicated application design questions
- You're comfortable with complexity and aren't afraid to dive deep into technical or clinical resources when needed
- You believe in your responsibility to continuously advocate for the interests of our end users as a core attribute of user-centered design
- You consistently drive towards design excellence. "Good enough" is simply not good enough for you.
- Empathetic listening and bidirectional communication skills demonstrated in effective interactions with users, peers, team members and management
- Experience bringing new products through an iterative process balancing prioritized trade-offs that consider user, product, engineering and business needs
- Experience partnering with Product teams to develop the strategy and rationale for new product or existing features
- Experience engaging with Analytics teams to implement and measure clear metrics for your design solutions
- Five to ten years (or more) experience working in progressively more challenging interaction design roles
- Bachelor's degree or higher in design, human sciences (e.g., Cognitive Science, Psychology, Human Factors), or information science
- Proficient in the use of team collaboration tools as well as current interaction design tools such as Figma
- Ideally, experience working in the medical device industry and/or healthcare
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time
Applications must include a link to your portfolio as well as detailed descriptions of your specific contributions to the projects.
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role. Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Shift : Day
Travel : 10% of the time
Travel Requirements:10% of the time Shift:Day
This job has expired.