Technology Department - Digital Assessment Platform (DAP)
The Digital Assessment team is committed to making higher education accessible to every student through innovative technology, building cutting edge applications to deliver College Board's suite of assessments. We build and operate the platform that delivers high-stakes assessments like the Advanced Placement (AP) exam and the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) digitally to millions of students annually. Over the past two years, the platform has successfully delivered exams to more concurrent test takers than any other digital assessment delivery system while processing millions of point events about the test taking experience. The platform is a collection of several cloud-hosted backend products and a client-side application that runs on Windows, macOS, iPadOS, and ChromeOS using industry leading tools and techniques.
The Digital Assessment Team is building an internal Elevation team committed to implementing first-class tooling for the delivery and analysis of our platform. As a Full Stack Engineer on the Elevation team, you will contribute to the exciting work of how we build the platform, how we monitor its health, and how we collect and analyze millions of data points around the student's experience with our product. In this role you will be helping build and develop solutions that will enhance our existing product's quality, reliability, performance, resiliency, and maintainability. Your expertise and desire to maintain awareness and knowledge of the emerging technology trends within the industry will help support the College Board's assessment programs used by millions of students
What you'll do
Design & Implementation (75%)
- Design and implement high-quality solutions using the best Cloud technologies and the highest engineering standards in collaboration with product owners, architects, and stakeholders, in support of CB systems and services
- Build solutions using the best practices of Agile, CI/CD, and DevOps
- Continuously develop the skills required to work as part of the agile team in a poly-skilled development environment
About you, you have:
- Participate in agile scrum ceremonies (Sprint Planning, Grooming, Daily SCRUM, Demo) and contribute to team deliverables
- Participate in peer reviews of software engineering artifacts
- Assist in the identification and resolution of production issues
- Strong customer focus, ownership, urgency, and drive
- Ideally, a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent related work experience
- Ideally 3-5 years of professional software development experience.
- Experienced in building single-page applications in React.js and Node.js
- Experienced in building event-driven Cloud-based serverless applications
- Experience building API's or other back-end services
About Our Benefits & Compensation:
- Strong experience with version control using Git, build automation using Webpack, continuous integration using AWS Code Pipeline or similar, and test automation
- Independent, proactive, and able to deliver high-quality code
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills - working cross-functionally with other engineers and stakeholders in a fast-paced environment
- Enthusiastic about innovating and learning
College Board offers a strong compensation and benefits package that attracts top talent looking to make a difference in education.
- Our robust benefits package includes health, dental, and vision insurance, tuition assistance, paid time off, paid parental leave, retirement benefits with a generous matching program, and more.
- We reward performance through annual bonuses and provide opportunities for salary growth over time through base compensation increases, merit raises and promotions.
- We believe in compensating staff members fairly in relation to each other, their qualifications, and their impact. The salary range for a new employee in this position is $120,000 to $138,000. The salary offer of an individual candidate within this range is specific to their location and qualifications.
- Each salary offer is determined carefully using internal and external benchmarking and adjusting for the candidate's location. You will have an opportunity to discuss salary in more detail after you begin the application process.
- As a self-sustaining non-profit organization with global impact, College Board offers a job that matters, a team that cares, and a place to learn, innovate and thrive!
- We are motivated to positively impact the educational and career trajectories of millions of students a year
- We prioritize building a diverse and inclusive team where every employee can thrive, and every voice is heard
- We value learning and growth; we offer formal and informal ways to lead through your superpowers, sharpen your strengths, and meet your development goals
- Our high-performing engineers work with the latest technologies, so you will be constantly learning and sharpening your skills, enabling you to be industry-forward instead of left behind technologically