To perform routine monitoring and testing of water and wastewater to assist with facility operation, maintenance, and service. To perform routine monitoring and testing of water and/or wastewater to assist with system operation, maintenance, and customer service.
Essential Job Functions
SKILLS & ABILITIES Education :
- Collects samples and performs routine monitoring and testing of water and wastewater, collects samples for testing, including effluent samples, flows, settable solids;
- Calibrates and logs ph meter and D.O. meter; checks chlorine residuals.
- Assists with general maintenance duties at facilities; washes down thickener, digester basin, and walkway; washes down aeration basin wall and walkway; checks and washes down bar screen and strainer; cleans clarifiers; dumps and cleans scum basin; operation of belt press; cleans office area and rest rooms.
- Assists with general housekeeping and grounds maintenance.
- Performs Operator duties under direct supervision of a certified operator to gain experience to qualify for an operator certification.
- Assists with water and wastewater line repairs, new line installation, other work as directed.
- Respond to and investigate customer service calls.
- Completes necessary paperwork in timely manner.
- Job may require occasional irregular hours, shift work, working weekends, and being on-call
Requires knowledge normally acquired through attainment of a high school diploma or GED plus skills and technical knowledge of water and wastewater treatment attained by some specialized courses or on-the-job training is advantageous.Experience :
Requires no directly related experience in water and/or wastewater system operations, maintenance, customer service, and prefer experience operating back-hoe and/or track-hoe equipment.One to two years of related experience.Certificates & Licenses
The applicant must obtain a class D Water and/or D Wastewater Certification issued by the TCEQ within 1 year of accepting the position (A minimum of obtaining a \"D\" certification within six months). Applicant must also obtain a class C Ground Water and Wastewater Certification issued by the TCEQ within 3 years of accepting the position.Other Requirements
Work requires application of a variety of procedures and guidelines and the adaptation of standard methods to differing conditions. Supervisor assigns tasks and provides assistance with non-routine matters; employee works independently within established guidelines and/or time frame. Requires common courtesy to answer questions, provide service or give directions in response to routine requests. Work requires reaching, lifting, moving and/or carrying motors, pumps, chemical drums, chlorine cylinders, cement bags (up to 50lbs), other supplies and equipment; climbing ladders to clean clarifiers, check storage tanks; climbing stairs; driving truck to work locations. Equipment used includes: laboratory test equipment; camera; hand tools to repair and maintain equipment; lawn mower, weed eater, other lawn maintenance equipment, sewer cleaner; generator for emergency power outages; general office equipment as needed.