Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
SMU's more than 12,000 diverse, high-achieving students come from all 50 states and 90 countries to take advantage of the University's small classes, hands-on research opportunities, leadership development, community service, international study and innovative programs. The University offers a strong foundation in the humanities and sciences and undergraduate, graduate and professional degree programs through eight schools.
Now in its second century of achievement, SMU is increasingly recognized for the ways it supports students, faculty and alumni as they become ethical leaders in their professions and communities. On the most beautiful college campus in the country, SMU Mustangs are energized by unbridled opportunities - from teaching, learning and research to creativity, performance and athletic endeavor.
Cox School of Business:
Cox School of Business provides in an intimate, private-school setting and renowned professors with open doors. Cox allows students to kindle relationships through dozens of student clubs, speaker series, and mentoring programs - all designed to connect students with the best business minds around the globe.
Students of the Cox community, can count on savvy professional advice, networking opportunities and social connections that open doors around the world. Alumni are lifetime members of the dues-free SMU Cox Alumni Association. The Economist magazine ranks Cox No. 1 in the United States and No. 28 in the world for networking potential.
About the Position:
SMU Cox seeks a marketing leader to strategically and effectively promote the SMU Cox brand, portfolio of degree and non-degree programs, academic achievements, and Centers & Institutes to our target markets. A successful leader will prioritize planning, activation, collaboration, and coaching, with an emphasis on measurable objectives and quantifiable results. Strong interpersonal skills including effective communication, active listening and working as part of a team, with leadership capabilities critical to success. Marketing efforts will include engagement from key internal stakeholders, as well as external agency partners and vendors. This person is expected to demonstrate strong drive, sound business judgment and an ability to influence across the SMU community of partners and leaders. This person is expected to lead a team of marketing professionals, lead with positivity and enthusiasm and promote a diverse and inclusive culture.
- Marketing Planning & Strategic Thought Leadership for: MBA, MS, Exec Ed, Centers & Institutes, & additional needs as identified by leadership. Standardize & formalize annual marketing planning process. Set & maintain accurate planning timelines. Assess market research needs & competitive landscape. Establish quantifiable objectives for the team.
- Strategic Partner, Agency & Vendor Management: Work closely with executive director of communications to effectively utilize shared resources, support each team's mutual goals & identify opportunities for strengthening outcomes. Evaluate & align agency capabilities with current business needs; identify & close gaps. Nurture existing & new relationships across-campus & externally with agencies and vendors. Collaborate internally to identify and manage strategic partnerships and sponsorship opportunities.
- Oversee Marketing Plan Activation, Implementation, Measurement & Analytics (where applicable) including: Selling collateral, Website content, Social media marketing, Digital marketing & media, All lead generation marketing, Advertising creative and Sponsorship management.
- Coaching & Talent Development: Delegate marketing assignments & projects based on stakeholder needs & team SME. Conduct talent reviews, set annual goals, conduct 360 feedback. Encourage career mapping & professional development. Assess bench strength and skill set, and identify talent gaps/needs for development. Identify training programs, conferences, etc. to level-up team capabilities.
- Budget Management: Manage working & non-working marketing dollars in concert with agency partners and direct reports. Manage team's travel & expenses.
- SMU Cox Revenue Goals: Responsible for generating leads, prospects, inquiries, and applicants supporting internal stakeholders and their individual program and recruitment goals.
Education and Experience:
Master's is required, preferably in marketing, communications or related field. MBA is strongly preferred.
A minimum of ten years of marketing experience is required, preferably with some higher education industry experience.
Experience building and implementing integrated marketing plans.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Candidate must demonstrate strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate broadly across the University and develop and maintain effective relationships with a wide range of constituencies. Must also demonstrate strong written communication skills.
Candidate must possess strong problem-solving skills with the ability to identify and analyze problems, as well as devise solutions. Must also have strong organizational, planning and time management skills.
Candidate must possess strategic planning, implementation and assessment abilities. Must also possess strong fiscal, planning, budgeting skills. Demonstrated track record of delivering results is essential.
Candidate must demonstrate strong coaching and leadership skills, negotiation skills, and ability to collaborate across multiple departments and stakeholders. The ability to provide focus and motivation to a professional staff is essential.
Candidate must have ability to work independently, make decisions, and effectively communicate with manager and leadership team.
Candidate must have a clear understanding of revenue driving portfolio for a graduate business school.
Physical and Environmental Demands:
- Sit for long periods of time
Deadline to Apply:
Review of applications will begin immediately and full consideration will be given to all applications received by October 22, 2021. The position is open until filled.
SMU must comply with President Biden's Executive Order (EO) 14042 requiring those that receive federal contracts and their employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they apply for and are granted an exemption for religious or medical reasons.
For more information regarding this requirement, please visit our website.
SMU will not discriminate in any program or activity on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and expression. The Executive Director for Access and Equity/Title IX Coordinator is designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies and may be reached at the Perkins Administration Building, Room 204, 6425 Boaz Lane, Dallas, TX 75205, 214-768-3601, firstname.lastname@example.org.