Founded in 1999, MHS is a full-service provider of innovative material handling systems that solve the challenges of distribution and fulfillment operations. We build, engineer and maintain systems for some of the biggest companies in the world, including UPS, FedEx, Walmart, Amazon and others. MHS is already one of the 10 largest material handling system suppliers worldwide, and we only expect to continue growing. We're looking for top talent to be part of the journey.
The Estimating Engineer - Level III is responsible for generating costing for material handling systems based on AutoCAD layouts and equipment lists. The engineer will also be responsible for the overall system design, ensuring that the layout is functional and meets the customer requirements.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Utilize the existing MHS costing toolset to generate mechanical equipment costs for new material handling systems, modifications to existing systems and change orders
- Collaborate with internal departments as required to estimate costs for mechanical/controls engineering, mechanical/electrical installation, project management, etc.
- Estimating other project costs such as freight, permits, etc.
- Evaluate customer Request for Quote ("RFQ") documents and ensure that our costing is inclusive of their requirements and specifications
- Generate RFQ documentation for external material and labor suppliers
- Generate proposal documentation in Microsoft Word and Excel formats
- Analyze system costing in comparison to previous estimates and present the findings to executive management
- Lead customer design review meetings
- Lead executive level meetings to review project scope and costing
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of customer specifications
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of various conveyor components such as conveyor drives, belting, sorters, etc.
- Analyze system layouts and flow rates as required to ensure proper system operation
Education and Experience:
- Ability to generate, analyze and modify AutoCAD 2D drawings
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Ability to communicate, both orally and written, at all levels of the business and with customers
- Ability to perform detailed oriented work in a timely manner, ensuring deadlines are achieved
- Ability to keep excellent records and details of documentation of the entire phase of the proposal process
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at the same time with changing priorities
- Ability to coordinate and lead executive level project cost review meetings, as well as customer design review meetings
- Ability to select the proper mechanical equipment based on the application and customer specifications
- Ability to travel to job sites and attend customer meetings. Approximately 5% travel
- Associates or bachelor's degree in mechanical/industrial engineering or a related field
- 5+ years experience in the parcel material handling industry
- Minimum of 1 year experience estimating project costs
- Basic knowledge of material handling control systems (VFDs, PLCs, etc.)
- Experience with Autodesk Inventor is a plus
- Experience in the distribution & fulfillment industry is a plus
- Experience estimating project costs is desired
This job description describes the general nature and level of work expected of a person assigned to this position. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. Employees may be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by their supervisor.It is the policy of Material Handling Systems, Inc (MHS) and its affiliated companies to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, citizenship status (if authorized to work in the U.S.), or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, MHS will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.