Takes the lead on digital design projects, establish standards/best practices, and direct activities related to user interface design within a project or set of projects. Mentors other designers and Digital Experience team members and advises DX User Interface Manager.
Determines the layout, color palette, visual hierarchy and typography, and creates the visual affordances (cues) for interactive components within the interface. Creates and maintains style guides to ensure a consistent design language is used throughout each product, and advises the team on the appropriate implementation of BCBSM brand guidelines.
- Collaborate with project team to create useful and engaging interfaces that reflect our brand.
- Create, maintain and evolve project style guides; Communicate style guidelines to project team, exercise sound judgment in both usage and deviation
- Assist the DX User Interface Design Manager in team and individual skill development
- Participate in innovation activities and seek opportunities for innovation and improvement in daily activities and core skills.
- Bachelor's degree in a design-related field is preferred (relevant work experience may be considered as a substitute).
- 3+ years of experience designing user interfaces for web based applications.
- Experience producing appropriate design deliverables, including: wireframes, comps, prototypes and UI specifications (samples or portfolio required).
- Experience creating and maintaining style guides and pattern libraries.
- Demonstrated experience working in a collaborative team environment.
- Proven experience in gathering requirements from and presenting work to decision makers, stakeholders, and colleagues.
- Experience working on Agile teams is a plus.
- Blend of corporate and agency experience is a plus
- Practical, expert-level experience using the Adobe Crea.ive Suite to produce design deliverables.
- Experience integrating accessibility into designs, including 508 compliance and ARIA.
- Experience designing native mobile applications a plus.
- Experience with large scale custom applications and CMS (Content Management Systems) projects a plus.
- Familiarity with user experience best practices is preferred.
- Understanding of front-end technologies including CSS3, HTML5, jQuery UI, and other evolving interface standards to assist in design.
- Understanding of Responsive Design and supporting frameworks such as BootStrap is a plus.
- Excel at solving design problems in new and creative ways so our products don't become trite or predictable
- Strong understanding and rabid pursuit of fundamental design principles - you know how to guide the user's attention where you want, you use words like "harmony" and "hierarchy" when discussing design, and you know typography is about more than picking trendy typefaces
- Able to comfortably and successfully pitch your work and negotiate changes with stakeholders and team members
- Must be able to manage time efficiently and prioritize tasks appropriately
- Work is performed in an office setting with no unusual hazards. Travel is required.