Collaboration drives Nordson's success as a market leader in Industrial Precision Solutions and Advanced Technology. Our employees thrive in an environment where we help each other reach our personal best and enable our company to continuously improve and grow, and our customers to succeed. You will find Nordson employees sharing our success by giving back in the communities around the world where we live and work.
Nordson EFD designs and manufactures components for controlled fluid flow including desktop dispensing equipment, precision valves, tips, dual dispensing cartridges and syringes. Our products are used in a broad range of market segments including, Life Sciences, Animal Health, Electronics, Automotive and Construction. Leading with innovation, Nordson EFD holds proprietary material and "0 waste" patents and technology to micro-dispense materials < 0.2mm in diameter.
The Director of Technology & Innovation is part of the EFD Division of Nordson. Based in East Providence, RI, Nordson EFD (Engineered Fluid Dispensing) is a leading manufacturer of high-quality precision fluid dispensing solutions that are used to apply controlled amounts of adhesives, sealants, lubricants, reagents and other fluids in various manufacturing processes. EFD serves customers globally across a variety of end markets such as wireless, construction, electronics, aerospace, automotive, industrial and health and science. EFD has established its industry leadership by enabling manufacturers to increase throughput speed, productivity, and quality, with consistency and reliability.
As the technology and innovation thought leader, you will successfully lead a multi-disciplinary technical organization responsible for the design and development of high-quality precision fluid dispensing solutions. The Director of Technology & Innovation will provide leadership, technical vision, thought leadership and strategic expertise to deliver product and technology development to meet portfolio roadmap objectives.
Critical to the role, this individual is responsible for developing and empowering the product development team, retaining and developing diverse talent and fostering an innovative, inclusive and collaborative culture. Also, this individual must have the ability to lead global and cross functional teams focused on delivering new products, or upgrades to existing products, to optimize time to market and monitor program timelines and budgets from ideation to product launch. This leader will be responsible for the Technology Road Map, and also support field investigations, maintain product life cycle sustaining projects, successful transfer of new products to operations and develop related capabilities and procedures while adhering to all applicable regulatory and quality requirements.
The Director of Technology & Innovation will initiate and recommend projects, provide management oversight for setting technology & innovation priorities, establish stretch goals, oversee development and execution of action plans, deploy resources optimally to deliver results. Overall, you will lead efforts focused on bringing differentiated, high impact innovation to life.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Acts as a member of the EFD Leadership team responsible for achieving results. Plays a critical role in maximizing the ROI of our current and future product portfolio.
- Leads a multi-discipline team and determines the functional objectives, policies, processes and budgets.
- Provides oversight to ensure all engineering projects remain on schedule and on budget, while managing risks, meeting all performance, cost and quality specifications in a manufacturing environment.
- Engages with field leaders and customers and suppliers, staying on the forefront of latest technologies with full understanding of market trends, customer needs, and competitor technology trends
- Facilitates a continuous learning & improvement culture with the NBS Next growth framework, defining, in partnership with other functions within the division, which programs should be executed and in which priority
- Allocates the right capabilities and capacities to the prioritized programs, ensuring that there are adequate resources and tools at the proper time
- Responsible for the technology and architecture in the department and for maintaining and improving the department's knowledge and expertise
- Owns the development and maintenance of the technology innovation road map
- Manages and drives the Intellectual Property strategy & execution
- Gains alignment to support goals by integrating technology and innovation and other disciplines such as Marketing and Product Management using a partnering and consultative approach
- Actively participates and contributes to the strategic and operating planning process at division level
Education and Experience Requirements
- Empower teams to develop impactful short and long-term programs and action plans and drive for results
- Builds technology and innovation leadership bench strength, attracting, engaging, developing, and retaining talent
- Builds and develops a great team and great culture that is diverse, collaborative, inclusive with trust
- Inspires, influences, and empowers employees (both direct and indirect teams globally) to overachieve objectives
- Strong influencer with ability to motivate and drive results through direct/indirect reports as well as internal and external cross-functional teams
The ideal candidate will have:
Required Skills and Abilities
- Bachelors degree in technology or related field.
- 6-8 years Prior leadership/management experience in engineering, R&D/technology innovation
- Built a high performing team
- Worked in a global organization
- Demonstrated knowledge of development, manufacturing and quality systems requirements
- Proven success with technology strategy, technology road mapping and development
Working Conditions and Physical DemandsOffice environment.
- Direct experience managing applications engineering and/or R&D teams/programs
- Strong team leadership and group management skills, with ability to effectively prioritize
- Strong communicator both across and outside the organization
- Experience creating a climate of innovation. Understanding of the patent process preferred.
- Experienced in developing solutions e.g., system, consumables, firmware, software and sustaining engineering
- Strong ability to analyze and use technical data via statistical and pareto analysis and other process tools
- Must be a good team builder who can effectively and efficiently grow the organization to meet business goals
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.Travel Required
Nordson Corporation provides equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees. No person is to be discriminated against in any aspect of the employment relationship due to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of our pre-employment drug screening and background/criminal check, consistent with applicable laws.