Do you love to create digital experiences which are inclusive to all people, including persons with disabilities?
Do you stay up to date in the growing fields of accessibility standards, markup techniques, and assistive technology?
Are you interested in solving cutting edge accessibility problems in Health Sciences, Nursing, Chemistry, and Academic Research and Publishing?
About our Team
We are a world class team of experts in accessibility serving researchers, scientists, and clinicians across the globe. We serve as the voice of accessibility in global company where accessibility is embraced with empathy and executive support.
About the Role
As a Senior Accessibility Specialist, you will develop and oversee the delivery of compliant and usable designs for our global e products. You will provide expert accessibility testing and coaching of development teams. You will collaborate with other technologists, product managers, engineers, designers, and quality engineers.
- Conduct VPAT/Accessibility Conformance Reports against the W3C WCAG 2.1 AA standards to satisfy the needs of product development squads and customers.
- Work with core team developers and UX to test, steer, and validate designs and code to accessibility standards.
- Provide workarounds, accommodations, and solutions to accessibility problems found in websites, PDFs, PowerPoints, and other digital formats.
- Help answer questions from customers and users around accessibility features and compliance.
- Establish a rapport with new teams to help successfully integrate accessibility into their process.
- Plan relevant activities to help ensure compliance with accessibility and usability principles.
- Conduct accessibility testing with assistive technology to validate user experiences against accessibility standards and best practices.
- Review and guide technical specifications (UI, HTML, PDF, EPUB3).
- Research new tools, standards, web, and mobile technology to help inform the wider accessibility guild.
- Plan, conduct, and summarize usability testing with people who experience disability.
- Review, author design/brand guidelines to standardize user interface accessibility towards compliance.
- Serve as point of contact for accessibility questions and concerns for development teams.
- Evangelize accessibility through presentations, internal news stories, and other internal communications.
- Train teams and individuals in a variety of settings (in person, virtual, team meetings).
- Keep up to date in the state of the art of tools and train teams in their use.
- Present work regularly at internal knowledge shares and at conferences.
- 5+ years of experience in driving accessibility in web and mobile applications.
- 5+ years' experience authoring VPATs/ACRs for enterprise web applications.
- Expert knowledge of W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1.
- Expert understanding of how to apply HTML5 and ARIA features to websites and mobile applications to meet accessibility guidelines.
- Understanding of user experience design and user centered design activities.
- Experience using testing tools (WAVE, aXe, Microsoft Insights, Color Contrast Analyzer).
- Experience using assistive technology such screen readers (JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver).
- Experience remediating PDF documents for compliance with PDF/UA standards.
- High degree of initiative and autonomy coupled with an ability to function successfully as part of a team (in person and virtual).
- Honed consulting, influence, and negotiation skills to achieve desired outcomes that inspire action and trust from stakeholders.
- Ability to evangelize accessibility in a collaborative way that caters to the audience.
- Generosity in sharing knowledge, skills, and positive attitude in mentoring people to learn accessibility concepts.
- Innovative and creative thinker; able to generate new ideas; forward-thinker; thought-leader.
- Written and verbal communication skills - able to present status, facts, thoughts and ideas in a clear, concise, convincing and organized manner.
- Flexibility and adaptability - able to quickly and smoothly change direction based upon stakeholder or management direction, while remaining extremely organized and following tight deadlines.
- Bachelor's degree in design, computer science, or other relevant field.
- Experience with conducting usability and accessibility end user research.
- IAAP Web Accessibility Specialist Certification or US DHS 508 Trusted Tester Certification.
- Minimum of 5 years in the field of User Experience, Design, or Software Engineering.
- Master of Science in computer science, human factors, design, or related relevant field.
Work in a way that works for you
We promote a healthy work/life balance across the organisation. With an average length of service of 9 years, we are confident that we offer an appealing working prospect for our people. With numerous wellbeing initiatives, family leave and tuition reimbursement, we will help you meet your immediate responsibilities and long-term goals.
- Working remotely from home
- Working flexible hours - flexing the times you work in the day
Working with us
We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to help you succeed. Here, you will find an inclusive, agile, collaborative, innovative and fun environment, where everyone has a part to play. Regardless of the team you join, we promote a diverse environment with co-workers who are passionate about what they do, and how they do it.
Working for you
At Elsevier, we know that your wellbeing and happiness are key to a long and successful career. These are some of the benefits we are delighted to offer:
- Comprehensive, multi-carrier health plan benefits
- Disability insurance
- Dependent Care and Commuter Spending Accounts
- Life and Accident Insurance
- Retirement Benefits (Salary Investment Plan/Employer Stock Purchase Plan)
- Modern Family Benefits, including adoption and surrogacy
A global leader in information and analytics, we help researchers and healthcare professionals advance science and improve health outcomes for the benefit of society. Building on our publishing heritage, we combine quality information and vast data sets with analytics to support visionary science and research, health education and interactive learning, as well as exceptional healthcare and clinical practice. At Elsevier, your work contributes to the world's grand challenges and a more sustainable future. We harness innovative technologies to support science and healthcare to partner for a better world.
Are you ready to help us progress science and health? Our technology leads to innovation, so join a forward-thinking digital business that is tackling world-scale challenges and align your ambitions with our passion for driving global knowledge-sharing.
Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or if you are based in the US you may also contact us on 1.855.833.5120.
This job has expired.