Database Administrator - 501160
As part of the database administration team, the Database Administrator (DBA) is responsible for the architecture, management, maintenance, backup/recovery, security, disaster recovery, day-to-day support of enterprise databases and related application servers as well as installation/upgrade support for enterprise-wide production systems including, but not limited to, Ellucian's Banner ERP software, etc. The DBA works in a multi-technology environment operating a variety of Unix/Linux and Windows-based computer systems. The DBA develops and maintains procedures for ensuring the usability, performance, integrity, security, and recoverability of the university's critical data. This position is primarily responsible for the administration of Oracle and SQL Server relational databases but may require research/support for other database technologies (for example, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, etc.). In addition, administration of application server environments to include Oracle WebLogic (for OEM), Apache, Tomcat, etc. is required.
Enterprise-Wide Production Application Support
- Install, upgrade and configure Oracle and SQL Server database software.
- Create new databases, upgrade existing databases, configure and tune databases as required.
- Install, upgrade and configure Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) Cloud Control software.
- Utilize Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) Cloud Control to manage database resources.
- Install, upgrade and configure WebLogic Server and Fusion Middleware products for OEM.
- Backup and restore databases, coordinating with the System Administrators to integrate these database backups into the Data Center backup and disaster recovery procedures.
- Monitor databases/database servers to insure that they are operating at peak efficiency, taking action to resolve performance problems.
- Estimate disk space needs and coordinate with System Administrators to proactively create space for databases.
- Review critical database patch releases and coordinate with application owners to schedule installation within prescribed business cycles.
- Provide technical database advice and support to Information Services staff as requested.
- Assist application support members with tuning and debugging issues as requested.
- Work with peers to maintain a high level of security for servers, databases, and applications.
General Job Duties / Responsibilities
- Provide installation/upgrade/integration support for enterprise-wide production applications including, but not limited to, Ellucian's Banner ERP software, etc.
- Perform database and application server support related to the installation/upgrading of enterprise applications (e.g., Banner, etc).
- Provide leadership for system and software upgrades, coordinating production implementation of related application code, shell scripts, and cron jobs.
- Install vendor delivered and customized Ellucian Banner ERP software and assist with the maintenance of the application server environments for production, test, and development. Process Banner change controls on a daily, Monday through Friday, schedule.
- Work with the System Administrators to install, upgrade and configure Apache/Tomcat Web Server software.
- Monitor Tomcat/Apache application servers to insure that they are operating at peak efficiency, taking action to resolve performance problems.
- Review critical application server patch releases and coordinate with application owners to schedule installation within prescribed business cycles.
- Create, configure, maintain and tune multiple environments on multiple application servers to support application development, testing, and upgrade activities throughout the various business and academic cycles.
- Provide technical application server advice, application server tuning and debugging and support to Information Services staff as requested.
- Provide technical support to system users. Respond to special requests and accept trouble reports. Investigate and resolve user problems. Maintain communications with system users and other faculty / staff members to reach satisfactory resolution of problems. Maintain timely and accurate records within Information Services time entry reporting tool, currently TeamDynamix/SpiderTechNet.
- Create, review and maintain documentation related to all system operations including policies, procedures, maintenance schedules, etc.
- Remain current with technology through self-study and attendance at seminars or workshops.
- Attend departmental / project team meetings and participate in cross-functional project teams.
- Lead projects as assigned.
- Work with end-users and IS personnel to coordinate system / personal schedules.
- Off-shift and weekend hours as required by projects or requested by manager.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- General knowledge of Oracle database configuration and administration best practices (Oracle 12c and above).
- General knowledge of SQL Server database configuration and administration best practices (SQL 2012 and above).
- General knowledge of Oracle WebLogic (for Oracle Enterprise Manager), as well as Apache/Tomcat Web Server configuration and administration best practices, including the tuning of Apache/Tomcat web servers within such an environment.
- General knowledge of database security and auditing best practices.
- General knowledge of database backup/restoration and disaster recovery best practices.
- General knowledge of Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN) utilizing an RMAN database repository.
- General knowledge of SQL and PL/SQL, with the ability to write and debug custom SQL and PL/SQL packages and procedures.
- General knowledge of systems architecture.
- General knowledge of Unix/Linux and Windows operating systems to support installation, configuration and tuning of Oracle and SQL Server database environments.
- General knowledge of UNIX shell scripting (primarily Kornshell (ksh) and bash).
- General knowledge of project management practices, with ability to plan and schedule technical projects.
- Working knowledge in the use of at least one X-terminal product.
- Ability to tune an OLTP/batch database for optimal performance.
- Ability to communicate and document technical and administrative information in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to analyze and debug complex multi-leveled application environments.
- Ability to prioritize work schedules which may require juggling multiple projects, tasks and production support issues.
- Ability to utilize Oracle's Enterprise Management web based console application to manage database related resources.
- Ability to setup and configure Oracle's Database Control, Application Server Control, and GRID Control environments.
- Ability to utilize an ERD tool to reverse engineer DDL, modify extracted DDL and to recreate and/or modify database tables, indexes, triggers, foreign keys, PL/SQL packages, procedures, functions, object types, views, database links, security grants, users and database roles.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 3+ years experience as an Oracle database administrator working in progressively complex environments.
- 1+ years experience as an Apache/Tomcat/Oracle WebLogic Server administrator.
- 1+ years experience as a SQL Server database administrator.
- 2+ years experience in a Unix/Linux environment.
- 1+ years experience in a Windows server environment.
- 1+ years experience configuring and proactively managing secure database and application server environments.
- Full-time, exempt position
- Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; 7.75 hrs./day; 38.75 hrs./week
- Required to be on-call; occasionally work after hours and weekends as required to meet planned project deadlines and respond to unplanned outages
Pay Grade 9 (Hiring Range $70,887.00 to 97,475.00 annually) COVID-19:
The University of Richmond requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all students, faculty, and staff. The University allows exemptions to this requirement for religious, medical and strong personal conviction reasons. All newly hired employees must report their status within the first two weeks of employment. ABOUT UR
At the University of Richmond, we're creative, inclusive, and determined. We're Spiders, and our mission is to create positive change in the UR community and beyond. Located minutes from downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond ( www.richmond.edu ) blends the intimacy of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions. There's only one place like Richmond.
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and candidates who support diversity. EOE