The Capital Project Accountant reports to the Capital Project Accounting Manager and is responsible for supporting the following key areas:
- Ensuring capital allocation decisions are made in pursuit of the most value accretive opportunities.
- Liaison between operations management, project management and accounting to support capital investment decisions.
- Providing analysis and feedback on spending trends and relative assumptions.
The Capital Project Accountant prepares specific accounting records and analysis in addition to reviewing Authorization for Expenditure (AFE) packages. The Capital Project Accountant is involved in the accurate and timely completion of capital asset subledger tasks, journal entries, project and account analysis, capital expenditure forecasts, internal and external audit support, and continuous improvement of the accounting environment.
- Evaluate AFE packages submitted by the business and route for approval.
- Review expenditures for capital versus expense.
- Partner with project management to monitor the status of projects and set financial expectations.
- Capitalize, transfer and retire capital assets.
- Perform preliminary depreciation review and flux analysis.
- Prepare month-end journal entries.
- Ensure month-end close process is on track and implement changes as necessary to improve the close cycle.
- Prepare monthly account reconciliations and flux analysis for property, plant and equipment related accounts.
- Assist with monthly capital expenditure forecasts and management reporting.
- Assist with preparation of annual capital expenditure budget.
- Perform annual capital asset inventory.
- Assist with internal and external audit as well as tax.
- Perform ad hoc projects.
PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field.
- Minimum 2 years of accounting or financial analysis experience (preferred experience to include responsibility for company general ledger, project or construction accounting and financial statements).
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel software, ERP systems (preferably ORACLE) and 10-key competency.
- Must have strong customer service, interpersonal/verbal communication and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated analytical skills and time management.
- Ability to establish and maintain quality relationships and support all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with deadlines and changing priorities.
- Willingness to challenge conventional thinking for the betterment of the company.
All U.S. applicants must be 18 years of age or older and all Canada applicants must be 16 years of age or older.
Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. participates in e-verify for all U.S. new hires.
An offer of U.S. employment by Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. or any of its subsidiaries is contingent on the satisfactory completion of a post-offer drug screen and background check.
All new hires must review and sign an Arbitration Agreement. This applies to all U.S. non-union employees.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, marital status, disability status, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, age, prior industrial injury, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected status under local, state or federal law.
Company Schnitzer Steel Ind Inc
This job has expired.