Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
SMU's more than 12,000 diverse, high-achieving students come from all 50 states and 90 countries to take advantage of the University's small classes, hands-on research opportunities, leadership development, community service, international study and innovative programs. The University offers a strong foundation in the humanities and sciences and undergraduate, graduate and professional degree programs through eight schools.
Now in its second century of achievement, SMU is increasingly recognized for the ways it supports students, faculty and alumni as they become ethical leaders in their professions and communities. On the most beautiful college campus in the country, SMU Mustangs are energized by unbridled opportunities - from teaching, learning and research to creativity, performance and athletic endeavor.
About the Position:
The Assistant Director for Transfer Admission will help manage the recruitment of transfer admission for Undergraduate Admission. In coordination with the Director of Transfer Admission, this position will help develop and execute a strategic plan for transfer admission. In addition, the Assistant Director will oversee the planning of on-campus events targeting transfer students with the Assistant Director for Admission Events and weekly campus visits with the Assistant Director for Admission Visits. The position will also coordinate recruitment travel and visits in collaboration with the Director of Transfer Admission.
- Essential Recruit prospective transfer undergraduate students, including local and out-of-town travel. Communicate and build relationships with prospects and applicants as well as community colleges. Provide information to prospective students and parents. Create a strategic plan and conduct market research for the recruitment region.
- Review and evaluate admission applications to determine admissibility to the University. Participate in the final admission decision process (Committee), including completing second reads on previously evaluated applications. Inform students and families of application status.
- Conduct information sessions and walk-in hours; advise prospective students, parents, and counselors on transfer pathways and co-curricular options at SMU.
- Develop, lead and monitor large programs and analytical projects in assigned areas. Conduct market research for recruitment region and create a strategic plan. Participate in college fairs, case studies, and panels. Initiate and participate in activities to yield accepted students to matriculation.
- Attend meetings/conferences to stay abreast of UG Admission issues. Attend all Division and area meetings. Actively participate in all staff development activities. Support recruitment programs as appropriate and assist with other Enrollment Services areas as needed.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree is required.
A minimum of three years of professional work experience is required.
Higher education work experience is preferred. Familiarity with SMU or other four-year residential private universities is a plus.
Recruiting experience for a residential, four-year, not-for-profit university is preferred.
Demonstrated knowledge of transfer recruitment and admission practices is preferred.
Preference will be given to candidates who have experience with underrepresented populations throughout the college search process.
Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook is required. Ability to learn new software is also required.
A valid driver's license and good driving history is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interface well with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community. Must be customer oriented and able to build relationships.
Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
The candidate must possess excellent organizational skills, including effective planning, time management, and project management.
The candidate must demonstrate problem-solving, analytical, and critical thinking skills.
Must be able to work independently, set goals and determine how to accomplish results.
The candidate must be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
Must be willing and able to work in the evening or weekend for events outside the typical workday, such as College Fairs, School Visits, Preview events, and Yield events.
Must be willing and able to ravel frequently. Travel season occurs for approximately three months in the spring and three months in the fall. Other occasional travel may be required, both locally and regionally. While conducting local visits, the candidate must be willing and able to drive their own vehicle.
Physical and Environmental Demands:
- Sit for long periods of time
- Handle objects (dexterity)
- Walk for long distances
- Drives motorized equipment
Deadline to Apply:
This position is open until filled.
SMU will not discriminate in any program or activity on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and expression. The Executive Director for Access and Equity/Title IX Coordinator is designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies and may be reached at the Perkins Administration Building, Room 204, 6425 Boaz Lane, Dallas, TX 75205, 214-768-3601, email@example.com.
SMU offers staff a broad, competitive array of health and related benefits. In addition to traditional benefits such as health, dental, and vision plans, SMU offers a wide range of wellness programs to help attract, support, and retain our employees whose work continues to make SMU an outstanding education and research institution.
SMU is committed to providing an array of retirement programs that benefit and protect you and your family throughout your working years at SMU and, if you meet SMU's retirement eligibility criteria, during your retirement years after you leave SMU.
The value of learning at SMU isn't just about preparing our students for the future. Employees have access to a wide variety of professional and personal development opportunities, including tuition benefits.