Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
SMU's more than 12,000 diverse, high-achieving students come from all 50 states and 90 countries to take advantage of the University's small classes, hands-on research opportunities, leadership development, community service, international study and innovative programs. The University offers a strong foundation in the humanities and sciences and undergraduate, graduate and professional degree programs through eight schools.
Now in its second century of achievement, SMU is increasingly recognized for the ways it supports students, faculty and alumni as they become ethical leaders in their professions and communities. On the most beautiful college campus in the country, SMU Mustangs are energized by unbridled opportunities - from teaching, learning and research to creativity, performance and athletic endeavor.
About the Hunt Institute for Engineering and Humanity:
The Hunt Institute seeks to intersect innovative research with practical applications to counter the effects of local and global poverty.
As a hub of innovation, the Institute holds a unique advantage as an action-oriented group in a theory-oriented environment. It draws members and practices from both the professional and academic sectors to propose and test well-researched and contextualized solutions to problems faced by impoverished communities. The Institute strives to promote dignity-based disruption, tackling systems at the community level and encourages solutions that build local resilience to improve quality of life.
About the Lyle School of Engineering:
SMU's Bobby B. Lyle School of Engineering, founded in 1925, is one of the oldest engineering schools in the Southwest. The school offers eight undergraduate and 29 graduate programs, including master's and doctoral degrees, through the departments of Civil and Environmental Engineering; Computer Science; Electrical and Computer Engineering; Mechanical Engineering; and Operations Research and Engineering Management. Lyle students participate in programs in the unique Deason Innovation Gym, providing the tools and space to work on immersion design projects and competitions to accelerate leadership development and the framework for innovation; the Hart Center for Engineering Leadership, helping students develop nontechnical skills to prepare them for leadership in diverse technical fields; the Caruth Institute for Engineering Education, developing new methodologies for incorporating engineering education into K-12 schools; and the Hunter and Stephanie Hunt Institute for Engineering and Humanity, combining technological innovation with business expertise to address global poverty.
About the Position:
This position is a critical member of the growing Hunt Institute for Engineering and Humanity team. This position provides day-to-day program support, office management, and administrative and logistical support to areas within an institute housed in the Lyle School of Engineering. Serves as campus liaison for the Institute, manages projects independently, organizes events and actively participates in fundraising. This position provides general support to the Executive Director and research faculty working in the Hunt Institute.
We seek an Assistant Director who shares our values of a diverse and equitable workplace based on collaborative teamwork, personal initiative, and a commitment to consistency and excellence.
- Manage all day-to-day operations of the Hunt Institute for Engineering and Humanity, including internal processes such as recruiting and hiring student team members, processing payroll, submitting purchase orders, payment of invoices, assistance with grant and contracts budget management, and general purchasing needs for the Institute. Train and mentor temporary staff and student employees.
- Serve as a liaison for the Institute within and outside the SMU community, including spending time off-campus with partner organizations and representing the Institute at internal and external meetings and conferences. Work closely with the Executive Director to proactively develop and manage relationships with faculty and staff from across SMU and community partners.
- Manages and facilitates ImpactNights, the Institute's monthly signature event, and other events throughout the year. Serve as lead for the team involved in planning and execution of special events, team members may include student workers and/or volunteers.
- May independently lead some initiatives within the Institute, as directed. Oversees and coordinates the implementation of the Institute's educational activities. Serves as the Hunt Institute's point of contact for campus activities related to sustainability and other efforts.
- Actively participates alongside the Executive Director and others in the formulation and execution of the fundraising strategy. Maintains the Institute's funding database. Participates in the writing and processing of proposals, including related budgeting, monitoring and reporting.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's is required, and a minimum of one year of work experience.
Prior work experience in one of the following areas is preferred: sustainability and/or climate-smart economic development and/or economic inclusion.
Marketing experience is preferred. Private sector experience is a plus.
Experience working in a college or university setting is a plus.
Experience with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required. PeopleSoft experience is a plus. Must have the ability to quickly learn new software.
Experience maintaining and reporting data, survey results and other program reports, is preferred.
This position requires occasional evenings and weekend work.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Candidate must have outstanding written communication skills, including the proper use of spelling, grammar and punctuation, with the ability to produce error-free communications.
Candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills as well as verbal communication skills to communicate effectively with a wide range of constituencies. Must have excellent customer service orientation.
Candidate must have excellent problem solving with the ability to seek alternatives and recommend solutions.
Must have strong organizational, multi-tasking and time management skills. A strong attention to detail and accuracy is needed.
Must be able to monitor expenditures against budget, prepare documents for approval and appropriately handle financial responsibility.
Candidate must be able to work independently as well as collaboratively with others.
Occasional evening and weekend work is required.
Physical and Environmental Demands:
- Carry/lift 25 lbs.
- Sit for long periods of time
- Handle objects (dexterity)
Deadline to Apply:
Priority consideration may be given to submissions received by: August 09, 2022
This position is open until filled.
SMU will not discriminate in any program or activity on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and expression. The Executive Director for Access and Equity/Title IX Coordinator is designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies and may be reached at the Perkins Administration Building, Room 204, 6425 Boaz Lane, Dallas, TX 75205, 214-768-3601, email@example.com.
SMU offers staff a broad, competitive array of health and related benefits. In addition to traditional benefits such as health, dental, and vision plans, SMU offers a wide range of wellness programs to help attract, support, and retain our employees whose work continues to make SMU an outstanding education and research institution.
SMU is committed to providing an array of retirement programs that benefit and protect you and your family throughout your working years at SMU and, if you meet SMU's retirement eligibility criteria, during your retirement years after you leave SMU.
The value of learning at SMU isn't just about preparing our students for the future. Employees have access to a wide variety of professional and personal development opportunities, including tuition benefits.