The Assembler/Painter/Packer position is responsible for performing assigned duties related to the assembly, sub-assembly, painting, and packaging of speed reducers within the Boston Gear facility with the objective of meeting or exceeding internal and external customer expectations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assemble product according to established methods, procedures and standards and/or sub-assembly of component parts from bills of materials and production orders, involving component parts and different configurations of sub-assemblies.
- Perform assembly of special units from engineering prints and blueprints.
- Use air impact wrenches, assorted hand tools, drivers and protective leaders, grease gun and indicators in assembly work. Operate hand arbor presses, pneumatic and hydraulic presses for assembly of certain units.
- Thoroughly inspect each completed unit to assure correct and complete assembly and ensuring that completed work and appearance meet standards; and/or inspect component parts before beginning sub-assembly work, ensuring correct identification and appearance of parts.
- Complete required documentation and report of daily work.
- Perform painting process for completed units for shipment according to established methods, procedures and standards
- Inspect units to assure housings are free from lubricant and dirt prior to painting.
- Prepare units for painting by ensuring all shafts and bores are masked from the paint process.
- Ensure unit nameplates and shafts are protected from exposure to paint.
- Ensure units move along the paint line smoothly in order to maintain productive flow of work.
- Ensure all unit surfaces are coated (both units painted on the line and units spray painted).
- Follow written instruction on method for keeping spray equipment clean and undamaged.
- Clean paint booth and related equipment using chemicals as instructed.
- Operate overhead hoist.
- Keep accurate records of numbers and types of units painted.
- Perform final assembly of Bost-Kleen units when applicable in accordance with bill of material as prescribed and special units using Engineering prints.
- Inspect units to ensure that the unit is painted according to standards.
- Package painted units and ensure that all units are packed correctly, to include accurately matching labels and units.
- Ensure each unit is packed in appropriate carton according to established methods, procedures and instructions for this process, to include packing unit using proper liner, foam packaging material and packing paper
- Operate foam packing, strapping and tape machines.
- Assist Distribution department in preparation and shipment of finished goods as required
Job Requirements Critical Competencies
Education and Experience Requirements
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem-solving skills, including a continuous improvement mindset. Exposure to lean manufacturing principles is a plus
- Demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong work ethic, including the ability to be self-directed and self-motivated while taking initiative with projects and tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and at the necessary pace required to meet customer demand rates and production goals.
- Strong interpersonal, teamwork, and collaborative skills.
- Willingness to be flexible and adapt to changes in internal processes, delays or unexpected events.
- Positive attitude with a demonstrated willingness to listen and learn
- Demonstrated safety orientation and compliance mindset
- Demonstrated pattern of reliability and dependability as related to attendance and work assignments
- Proficiency in English language skills, including effective verbal and written communication
- Willingness and ability to work extended hours, including overtime and weekends as required
Physical Demand and Work Environment:
- A High School diploma or GED equivalency from an accredited institution is desired
Majority of time is spent in a manufacturing production environment with some (but not all) climate-controlled areas. Personal protective safety equipment must be worn, and proper safety precautions must be observed. Potential exposure may include, but is not limited to: solvents, dusts, lead, fiberglass, noise, heat, cold.
Potential physical demands include, but are not limited to: frequent walking and standing, occasional twisting, stooping, carrying, handling, pushing, and pulling; climbing, kneeling and lifting up to 50 lbs. Potential sensory demands include but are not limited to: hearing and seeing.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EEO Statement: The company in which you have expressed employment interest is a subsidiary or affiliate of Altra Industrial Motion Corp. The subsidiary or affiliate is referred to as an ""Altra Company."" Altra Industrial Motion Corp. and all Altra Companies are equal opportunity employers that evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or other characteristics protected by law. The ""EEO is the Law"" poster is available at: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you have a disability and need assistance accessing or using this website to apply for a position, you can request assistance by sending an email to email@example.com.