Manufacturing Metallurgist Intern
Assist with routine metallurgical and physical analysis and laboratory testing of submitted or self-collected samples of materials used in products and manufacturing processes. Works without continualsupervision, butis frequently instructed and checked by the manager.
Assist in Technical Support Activities such as:
Additional Job DescriptionQualifications:
- Materials testing, standardization, and reporting in metallurgical laboratory
- Makes reports and recommendations based upon test analyses
- Process modifications and continuous improvement
- Process management and quality documentation (i.e.error proofing, PFMEA, Process Control Plan)
- Production and maintenance support and guidance in heat treating areas (technical troubleshooting, direction, and operator training as it relates to the metallurgical processes)
- Establishes and evaluates testing techniques and procedure
- Planning activities
- Audits metallurgical processes to defined requirements (CQI-9.
- Safely operates, verifies calibration, and maintains laboratory equipment (magnetic particle inspection, band saw, abrasive cut off saw, grinders, polishers, hardness testers, microscopes, image analysis systems, carbon determinator)
- Conducts appropriate chemical, metallurgical, and physical tests of process or production material with the use of precision laboratory equipment.
- Approves material meeting established criteria and reports exceptions.
- Maintains complete and accurate test records.
- Adjusts technical processes based on test results.
- Maintains safety and good housekeeping standards and continuously improves standardized work.
- Inputs raw information into results database and provides analysis.
- Provides written reports of analysis.
- Interacts with various manufacturing database systems.
- Pursuit of a Bachelor's degree in one of the following areas:Metallurgy or Materials Science Engineering
- Must be graduating between December 2023 and May 2026
- Willing to work in a plant environment
- Able to work a minimum of 40 hours per week
The start date for these Internship roles are for May & June of 2023 Spring/Summer Internship
- Knowledge of materials, substances, and their characteristics
- Strong work ethic (self-starter, self-motivated, follow through on assignments, results driven)
- Comfortable with technology tools (i.e.PCs, Microsoft Office, web-front data bases, PLCs, CNCs, robots)
- Problem solving and resolution (Red X)
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills with the ability to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to distill complex subjects to a wider audience
- Emerging partnership and collaboration skills and ability to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, takes initiative/self-directed
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability and trust
- Consistently demonstrates innovative thinking that is customer-centric
- Excellent project management skills and the proven ability to manage multiple projects at any given
This role offers the following Work Appropriately
GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to each student selected for the 2023 Student Program
Onsite: This position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time basis.
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.About GM
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day - individually and collectively - to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.Diversity Information
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us atCareers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
This job has expired.